Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you take your child out of school...

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM
  • 23 Replies
If you heard from a reliable source that there was a threat made about something happening in a school in your town, and you had the option to take your children out of school that day..would you?

I work in a school and we were given a heads up about a threat made by a man to do something like what happened in CT. My DS was home sick with DH, but my DD was at school. I texted DH and told him what I knew and asked what he thought about picking her up. He asked my opinion and I flat out said if her teacher wasnt a moron, I would probably keep her in school. I know how aware I am of my surroundings, but DDs teacher is another story. So he swung by and dismissed her right before lunch. She missed half a day. She is in 4th grade. When DH was having her dismissed, HER teacher was walking by so the secretary asked her to grab DD when she got to the lunch room...her teacher said "oh is she 3rd grade?". Umm, no, she is in your class....this just confirmed to me and DH that DD is not really super cared for while in this woman's classroom.

Some of my coworkers thought I was paranoid and overly cautious. I think better safe than sorry. Also, I was not like frantically calling being crazy, I texted DH to see what he thought and we agreed all through texting very calmly. It was not a big deal and to us, missing a little school now and then is not the end of the world. If some of the circumstances were different we would have made a different decision I think. If DH wasn't home, it may not have been an option. If DDs teacher was normal. If DDs classroom was inside the building (we have a modular building outside with two classrooms because this town refuses to pass a budget to add on to the schools that desperately need it..DDs classroom is in that outside building...with no bathroom or closet, where would they go if something were to happen?). If both kids were at DSs school where there is a police officer on duty. If if if...but the way the circumstances were my instinct was to let the kid miss half a day and be home with dad. If I am able to protect my kids, why wouldn't I?

What would you do? Do you think I'm paranoid and crazy?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:48 AM

if a threat is made to the school, the school will go into lock down mode or lock out mode where no child can leave the building unless its a life or death situation.  a parent cannot just decide to say, hey, i want to get my child.

but to answer your question, yes that is def paranoid and crazy.  but considering how your school handles situations like this, by still allowing outsiders in and out of the building i guess you can justify it.

andersongirl562
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:51 AM
I agree with the above poster if a threat is made then the school would be on lock down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I wouldn't. Our school has it's own armed police officers that patrol both the parking lots and the hallways. So I"m not that concerned with their schools. If it were our previous school district, I would pull them in a heartbeat.

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Did you tell the school what you "heard" or did you leave everyone else's lives in danger?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abbysmommy429
by Valerie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:55 AM
The only issue here is why you haven't felt with an incompetent teacher. Just talking about it will not help your child's education.

As for the threat, the school would have taken action if it were real.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mindy3-6
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We had a threat in our school like that right after the CT shooting.  My boys stayed home that day.  I totally agree with what you did.  Don't second guess yourself.  Of course as parents we are going to do everything we can to keep our children as safe as we can in this crazy world we live in!!

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM
How did you hear of the threat and the school didn't? Did DH let them know why he was pulling her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

if a threat is made to the school, the school will go into lock down mode or lock out mode where no child can leave the building unless its a life or death situation.  a parent cannot just decide to say, hey, i want to get my child.

but to answer your question, yes that is def paranoid and crazy.  but considering how your school handles situations like this, by still allowing outsiders in and out of the building i guess you can justify it.

LAXmom21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

this and the school would be on lock down if the knew of a viable threat.

Quoting berlgirl1224:

Did you tell the school what you "heard" or did you leave everyone else's lives in danger?

BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM
It appears you were the only one that knew of a "threat" and chose to have your own child removed from the site without telling anybody else. And why your school didn't go into lockdown if everybody knew is equally disturbing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)