Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Flu outbreak,are you running to get the flu shot???

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM
  • 197 Replies
What's your take on this? Is the media making a big deal like the H1N1 case? The only time I got the flu shot back in 1996 I got sick as a dog and never again. Dd's pediatrician does not believe in the flu shot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I refuse to give my son and I it. He got really sick last year after it. There are precautions you can take to avoid getting sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM
4 moms liked this

I got my flu shot back in October, most people who think they have the flu don't really have it anyway.  So I doubt a lot of the claims of flu.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Very true! As my MIL was trying to talk me into getting one, I told her this but I know she didn't believe me.

DS who never gets sick caught H1N1 from my niece who is always sick. We never get flu shots but last year, at DS's checkup, the doctor asked if he wanted one. I started to say no but he said he wanted it (he was 11) so I consented. If he wants it again, fine but we don't get them.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I got my flu shot back in October, most people who think they have the flu don't really have it anyway.  So I doubt a lot of the claims of flu.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Quoting Aydans_Mommy:

I refuse to give my son and I it. He got really sick last year after it. There are precautions you can take to avoid getting sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope we won't be getting the shot. Just washing hands more and eating better.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
No shots here.... when we got shots we got sick, when we stopped getting shots we stopped getting sick. DS kept ear infections and sinus infections until we stopped all shots, DD got croup all the time and had behavior issues till we nixxed her shots, now I have my sweet girlie back and no croup.
christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this

We all got the flu a week before xmas....it's really just the flu. We stayed in bed a few days and then got over it. 

Now if I was sickly or had some kind of issues with my health, yeah I'd think about the flu shot. But being a healthy 37yo woman...it really isn't a big deal.

What I find even crazier than the flu shot, is the people who are clogging the emergency rooms and drs office because they have the flu. 

JulesFairy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I got the flu on Christmas. I called the advice nurse on the 27th because I thought I had a cold at first but that day all the symptoms got worse, so I called to see if I was having the flu symptoms since at that time I wasnt running a fever. Advice nurse was adament I needed to come in. I told her if I have the flu like you think I do then there is nothing you can do for me so why go in. She demanded I go in if this and this happened. So that night I went in since it was faster to go at night. And I was actually running a fever. They said I had the flu. Fluids and rest but wanted me to follow up the next day with my PCM. Why? Because we need to see if you develop pneumonia. So I suck it up, go in, and guess what I have the flu. Fluids and rest. And they wanted me to follow up again in three days. I told them no, because all I am doing is making others suscepitble to my illness. But the whole point here is that doctors are telling people to come in. And instead of coming in and writing a work/ school note for a week they are doing it in two or three day stretches.

Quoting christina0607:

We all got the flu a week before xmas....it's really just the flu. We stayed in bed a few days and then got over it. 

Now if I was sickly or had some kind of issues with my health, yeah I'd think about the flu shot. But being a healthy 37yo woman...it really isn't a big deal.

What I find even crazier than the flu shot, is the people who are clogging the emergency rooms and drs office because they have the flu. 

christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I would have told my dr I'll call them if I need them. I really don't think I would have kept going back. 

I got the flu on Christmas. I called the advice nurse on the 27th because I thought I had a cold at first but that day all the symptoms got worse, so I called to see if I was having the flu symptoms since at that time I wasnt running a fever. Advice nurse was adament I needed to come in. I told her if I have the flu like you think I do then there is nothing you can do for me so why go in. She demanded I go in if this and this happened. So that night I went in since it was faster to go at night. And I was actually running a fever. They said I had the flu. Fluids and rest but wanted me to follow up the next day with my PCM. Why? Because we need to see if you develop pneumonia. So I suck it up, go in, and guess what I have the flu. Fluids and rest. And they wanted me to follow up again in three days. I told them no, because all I am doing is making others suscepitble to my illness. But the whole point here is that doctors are telling people to come in. And instead of coming in and writing a work/ school note for a week they are doing it in two or three day stretches.

Quoting christina0607:

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this

all three of my kids got the shot

christmas day my five year old started running a fever and by the next day it was really high and i coulndt get it to come down. i took him to the er and he tested postive for type a. he got tamiflu and the next day my oldset started tamiflu also. i asked the doctor about the shot and she said it helped the intensity of the  flu. my kids were feeling better within two days so i believe that the flu shot helped them not get as sick as they could have. and my youngest never got sick at all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)