Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Today I totally hate I am a nurse... And this is why so many people get sick

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this
Last night at work I admitted a man with MRSA in his sputum and wounds on his hands. Well before the end of my shift he decided to leave against medical advice because according to him it was degrading that we had to dress in full mask and gown/have him in isolation. We tried to explain to him that this infection can be very difficult to treat and is highly contagious so it is for our protection. Well fast forward to today. My friend and I were going out for our normal lunch together with the kids at a buffet. This man is getting food off the buffet, his wound don't even have dressings on them, and he is exposing every person in there to MRSA. I told my friend we were leaving but because of HIPPA I could not tell the buffet staff or other customers. Ugh. I am so fustrated. Before he left we did instruct him to stay out of the public and offered to set up a home health aide to do his errands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Yikes. I'm never eating off a buffet again. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Wow.  I know people don't always trust doctors, but that is reckless right there!  I wish you could have warned the other customers and staff, but I understand how HIPPA works.  *sigh*  Couldn't have been easy, though.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

EWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you call in anonymously and inform the resturant that they have been contaminated? Someone did that for a local resturant. Ugh. I understand your frustration.

nurbabe82
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Nasty

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Could you not let them know that a person (dont say name) who is highly contagious right now is in the restaurant?  All the food is exposed, tables, the restroom.  Holy cow that place could have dept of health come crashing down on them.

knagsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

couldnt you just have told the buffet manager that there was a customer with open swores and grabbing food. i would have just said that. yes i would have also left before getting food as well

lovemysnugbugs
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Eew. It must be so hard not to say anything in that situation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I would contact the dept of health and notify them. Let them handle it. Hippa laws are great, until something like this happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylovingfam
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I called our social worker before I left the parking lot and she said I couldn't. I am so upset.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Could you not let them know that a person (dont say name) who is highly contagious right now is in the restaurant?  All the food is exposed, tables, the restroom.  Holy cow that place could have dept of health come crashing down on them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this
He's an asshole. Maybe he'll die from it. Serves him right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN