Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

S/o dads and periods...

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 77 Replies
1 mom liked this
It concerns me how many women think dads shouldn't know anything about girls periods..
Did you never talk to your father about yours even asking him to get you chocolate or pads? Does your husband shy away from the topic?
My husband will often pick up pads or chocolate for out girls. He has a general idea of when they are due to start (we don't really "track" them but they are around the same time every month) sometimes when we are out shopping as a family he will ask the girls "how are you on pads? Do we need to get more?" It's not a big deal in our house, sometimes he will know they started before me because they call him and ask him to get chocolate or something salty on his way home from work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

No I never had any reason to discuss my period with my father. 

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I don't know what chocolate has to do with periods. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Growing up my dad would never mention THAT! However my daughter is only 3 so not an issue now but when she is older I am sure knowing my husband it won't be an issue and he will pick her up whatever she need/wants. We are definitely more open then my parents were.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I never talked about it with my dad and I have no girls, but dh knows when my last period was better than I do. Mainly because he didn't get laid lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TS9509
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM
I have called my dad once from school not long after I started having my period and told him he needed to come get me. He asked why and I whispered in the phone my period and he said oh girl time, ill be there in about 15 minutes. My dad would stop and get pads for my mom and I if we asked but he wanted to know very little about it lol. My DH is the same way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.love.my.life
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM
My dad wasn't in my life, but my hubby is very hands on. We have great communication with our girls. I don't think they'll have a problem with him knowing or asking him for things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof2n0308
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM
My dad was awesome. He'd have pads and tampons ready for when I'd visit. When I bled through my jeans once he told my how to get it out. If I had mood swings he'd go along with it he'd hug me if I cried for no reason.. He's not even my bio dad! My mom was a compete Bitch about my period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM
You don't know what chocolate has to do with periods? Lots of women crave chocolate when they are on their periods.
Why wouldn't they discuss it I mean we don't sit down and have a conversation over dinner but he may ask our daughter if she's feeling on and se will say she's on her period, or if she says her stomach hurts he may ask if she's started her period yet. He's her parent just like I am and I would ask the same things.

Quoting christina0607:

No I never had any reason to discuss my period with my father. 

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I don't know what chocolate has to do with periods. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmeek
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM
My dad was never around. My step dad would tease me because I was mean but I lived with my grandparents because they raised me and he just knew and always pick them up once a month with my fav snacks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I never talked about it with either of my parents.  In fact, when I started at 14, I hid it from them.  Anyway, my husband is completely comfortable with my period, but our girls are little, and I don't know how he will be with them.

lizmeek
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I do have a dd and my dh doesn't care about getting them so it wouldn't bother him either way

Quoting lizmeek:

My dad was never around. My step dad would tease me because I was mean but I lived with my grandparents because they raised me and he just knew and always pick them up once a month with my fav snacks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN