Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
It concerns me how many women think dads shouldn't know anything about girls periods..
Did you never talk to your father about yours even asking him to get you chocolate or pads? Does your husband shy away from the topic?
My husband will often pick up pads or chocolate for out girls. He has a general idea of when they are due to start (we don't really "track" them but they are around the same time every month) sometimes when we are out shopping as a family he will ask the girls "how are you on pads? Do we need to get more?" It's not a big deal in our house, sometimes he will know they started before me because they call him and ask him to get chocolate or something salty on his way home from work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

My dad wasn't in my life. I handle period related things, thats more of a girls thing in our house, I'm sure my husband would do it if I asked him to, but I've never asked him. He gets the boys their guy stuff, I handle the girl supplies. I don't know what chocolate has to do with being on your period though.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I didn't have a dad.

However I didn't think it odd or weird or alarming.

I was always up in my sons business, and Im not a predator, so I dont think a dad being up in his daughters business denotes such either.

christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

hmm, chocolate is not something I have ever considered synonymous with my menstrual cycle, lol. 

IDK, I guess we just don't make a big deal about our periods. We're not ones to have it change our lives at all. I've never complained about my stomach hurting because of my period, or used it as an excuse for anything. so I guess thats why my daughter never has either. So those just aren't conversations we have.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

You don't know what chocolate has to do with periods? Lots of women crave chocolate when they are on their periods.
Why wouldn't they discuss it I mean we don't sit down and have a conversation over dinner but he may ask our daughter if she's feeling on and se will say she's on her period, or if she says her stomach hurts he may ask if she's started her period yet. He's her parent just like I am and I would ask the same things.

Quoting christina0607:

No I never had any reason to discuss my period with my father. 

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I don't know what chocolate has to do with periods. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

My dad was awesome. He'd have pads and tampons ready for when I'd visit. When I bled through my jeans once he told my how to get it out. If I had mood swings he'd go along with it he'd hug me if I cried for no reason.. He's not even my bio dad! My mom was a compete Bitch about my period.

He sounds awesome!

rockabillybetty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Dads who help out in period time is great. They're obviously No stranger to the period lol their mom's had one aunts and gfs wives duuh. Think some women forget it. My dad knew my cycle and stayed far away from me lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

When I was growing up that is a subject that just wasn't talked about in front of men. 

I don't have any girls, but other than getting what they need or want like the chocolate, I don't see a reason to talk to their father about the period. Unless they are single parents of a girl. 

Chocolate is a natural pain reliever. So it can actually help with the pain of cramps if females have painful cramps. 

Personally, I make a special hot tea (with certain herbs and spices in it), then have a little chocolate, then take 1 pain reliever. That combination usually gets rid of my severe period pain for an entire day.

WillVon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM
In my famil, You don't talk about it when dad is in the room. It's a woman thing only. Although men are allowed to pick up pads/tampons if you need it.
My hub is comfortable talking about it with me, but when our daughter is older and starts, it's all me to talk about with her, not hub.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I had no choice...I was raised by my father. And he was a good father so of course he knew what was going on with me. I find it odd when fathers dont know whats going on with their children, be it a girl or a boy

-spork2.0-
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Dads want to make sure their daughters arent knocked up. How hard is that?

Quoting christina0607:

No I never had any reason to discuss my period with my father. 

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I don't know what chocolate has to do with periods. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I will leave it up to my daughter. They have a great relationship and he's not shy about buying that stuff or even talking about it. If she's comfortable sharing it with him, more power to her. I won't force it. I really don't see the big deal with dads being a part of it or even talking to their daughters about it, and I could totally see my husband and my daughter being open about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)