Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
It concerns me how many women think dads shouldn't know anything about girls periods..
Did you never talk to your father about yours even asking him to get you chocolate or pads? Does your husband shy away from the topic?
My husband will often pick up pads or chocolate for out girls. He has a general idea of when they are due to start (we don't really "track" them but they are around the same time every month) sometimes when we are out shopping as a family he will ask the girls "how are you on pads? Do we need to get more?" It's not a big deal in our house, sometimes he will know they started before me because they call him and ask him to get chocolate or something salty on his way home from work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

lol, No thats not why he did it. Looking back he was extremely controlling.  

Dads want to make sure their daughters arent knocked up. How hard is that?

Quoting christina0607:

No I never had any reason to discuss my period with my father. 

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I don't know what chocolate has to do with periods. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
My dad was old school so this was never dicusses

But now i think more men are taking the initiative to be a part of their dd no matter the subject
I think its a great idea

My SO keeps track of mine since we have been together. I have a tracker on my cell and he usually calls it out to me before the tracker reminds me
He has a dd who has had her period for about a yr now and he keeps track of hers by memory.
Hes better than us! Lol
She stays with him, so he like to have her prepared with what she needs for her period for when she comes over

I dont see anything wrong with this

I think fathers should know about their daughters issues just as much as their sons and male issues.
Its called being involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
No one makes excuses or changes their life but yes my daughter will have pretty bad cramps sometimes so she will take a few Motrin and have a cup of tea and se will mention it to me. I would much rather her mention that she has bad cramps then keep it to herself. I also make sure she knows to mention if her period is abnormally heavy, or frequent because that way I know what's going on and if she needs a doctors appointment. It's not something we have long conversations about but they may mention that they have cramps or what not and its not something that we "don't talk about around men"

Quoting christina0607:

hmm, chocolate is not something I have ever considered synonymous with my menstrual cycle, lol. 

IDK, I guess we just don't make a big deal about our periods. We're not ones to have it change our lives at all. I've never complained about my stomach hurting because of my period, or used it as an excuse for anything. so I guess thats why my daughter never has either. So those just aren't conversations we have.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

You don't know what chocolate has to do with periods? Lots of women crave chocolate when they are on their periods.

Why wouldn't they discuss it I mean we don't sit down and have a conversation over dinner but he may ask our daughter if she's feeling on and se will say she's on her period, or if she says her stomach hurts he may ask if she's started her period yet. He's her parent just like I am and I would ask the same things.

Quoting christina0607:

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nzumbrun
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

my dad ran if the topic came up lol but my dh isn't that way.

Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
He is so awesome. He may be a pot head with no motivation. He may still live with his mom and no job..lol but he was always emotionally supportive and still is.I'd rather have that than mymy crazy momwho was emotionally detached. He took me in as his own and he didn't have to. I've heard many of his gfs say he shouldn't have to raise me, they weren't his girlfriend for long after that! :) II love my Daddy ave wish my kids had that as well!

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

My dad was awesome. He'd have pads and tampons ready for when I'd visit. When I bled through my jeans once he told my how to get it out. If I had mood swings he'd go along with it he'd hug me if I cried for no reason.. He's not even my bio dad! My mom was a compete Bitch about my period.

He sounds awesome!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
This is why so many men are so clueless about women's bodies why is it such a tabo subject to talk about? I'm not talking long drawn out details conversations but a girl should be complfertable talking to her father what happens if she's home alone with dad and has a problem? My daughter would be fine going to hubby and telling him about any problem she has and he would be comfertable helping her however he could.

Quoting WillVon:

In my famil, You don't talk about it when dad is in the room. It's a woman thing only. Although men are allowed to pick up pads/tampons if you need it.

My hub is comfortable talking about it with me, but when our daughter is older and starts, it's all me to talk about with her, not hub.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I talked about it with my dad all the time because my mom and I never got along growing up and so the only one I really turned to was my dad.  It didn't really bother me.  

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I don't see the problem with it if they're both comfortable. My dad wasn't around so I didn't have that relationship with him, or any.

My dh doesn't seem like the type who will want to discuss or aknowledge anything about my daughter and her period. I don't care either way. That's who he is. 

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

whenever I got cramps my husband and son would make me international delights coffee and we would watch Pretty woman together and draw on each others backs.

Then i would invite them into the toilet to examine teh clots i made.

LOLOLOLOL

seriously how can you live in a house with a woman and not know she's cycling?

Quoting LCWAmommy:

No one makes excuses or changes their life but yes my daughter will have pretty bad cramps sometimes so she will take a few Motrin and have a cup of tea and se will mention it to me. I would much rather her mention that she has bad cramps then keep it to herself. I also make sure she knows to mention if her period is abnormally heavy, or frequent because that way I know what's going on and if she needs a doctors appointment. It's not something we have long conversations about but they may mention that they have cramps or what not and its not something that we "don't talk about around men"

Quoting christina0607:

hmm, chocolate is not something I have ever considered synonymous with my menstrual cycle, lol. 

IDK, I guess we just don't make a big deal about our periods. We're not ones to have it change our lives at all. I've never complained about my stomach hurting because of my period, or used it as an excuse for anything. so I guess thats why my daughter never has either. So those just aren't conversations we have.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

You don't know what chocolate has to do with periods? Lots of women crave chocolate when they are on their periods.

Why wouldn't they discuss it I mean we don't sit down and have a conversation over dinner but he may ask our daughter if she's feeling on and se will say she's on her period, or if she says her stomach hurts he may ask if she's started her period yet. He's her parent just like I am and I would ask the same things.

Quoting christina0607:

pamelax3
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

My dh is very intune to my periods and is fully aware when our DD's is due

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)