Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
It concerns me how many women think dads shouldn't know anything about girls periods..
Did you never talk to your father about yours even asking him to get you chocolate or pads? Does your husband shy away from the topic?
My husband will often pick up pads or chocolate for out girls. He has a general idea of when they are due to start (we don't really "track" them but they are around the same time every month) sometimes when we are out shopping as a family he will ask the girls "how are you on pads? Do we need to get more?" It's not a big deal in our house, sometimes he will know they started before me because they call him and ask him to get chocolate or something salty on his way home from work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Ok then. I;ve never had cramps, so there has never been a need to discuss them. As of yet my daughter has never had an issue...so I guess we've just never thought the need to discuss what we don't have. 

You did ask right? I'm a little confused why you feel so defensive about this. 

Quoting LCWAmommy:

No one makes excuses or changes their life but yes my daughter will have pretty bad cramps sometimes so she will take a few Motrin and have a cup of tea and se will mention it to me. I would much rather her mention that she has bad cramps then keep it to herself. I also make sure she knows to mention if her period is abnormally heavy, or frequent because that way I know what's going on and if she needs a doctors appointment. It's not something we have long conversations about but they may mention that they have cramps or what not and its not something that we "don't talk about around men"

Quoting christina0607:

hmm, chocolate is not something I have ever considered synonymous with my menstrual cycle, lol. 

IDK, I guess we just don't make a big deal about our periods. We're not ones to have it change our lives at all. I've never complained about my stomach hurting because of my period, or used it as an excuse for anything. so I guess thats why my daughter never has either. So those just aren't conversations we have.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

You don't know what chocolate has to do with periods? Lots of women crave chocolate when they are on their periods.

Why wouldn't they discuss it I mean we don't sit down and have a conversation over dinner but he may ask our daughter if she's feeling on and se will say she's on her period, or if she says her stomach hurts he may ask if she's started her period yet. He's her parent just like I am and I would ask the same things.

Quoting christina0607:

No I never had any reason to discuss my period with my father. 

My husband is guru when it comes to my period....but I can't for the life of me think of a reason he and my daughter would have anything to discuss on the topic. 

I don't know what chocolate has to do with periods. 

I did have a friend growing up whos father made the girls(there were two of them) use colored stickers to track their cycles on the calendar. I remember asking her why, and really she had no idea why. I found it...and still find it...odd. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I can say that my father and I NEVER once spoke about anyone's period, including my own. Hell, I never even spoke to my mom about my period. No reason to, it would be like telling them "hey I just took a shit". It's a natural bodily function, no real reason to discuss it.
I find it very odd when parents are overly interested in their daughter's period.
My husband said he doesn't even want to know when our daughter's start because much like going to the bathroom, it's a private issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillVon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
If I had a problem I'd either wait for my mom to get home, text her, or deal with it myself.
It's the same with boobs. My dad doesn't want to know and I don't care to let him know what size I am or anything. It's just an inappropriate thing.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

This is why so many men are so clueless about women's bodies why is it such a tabo subject to talk about? I'm not talking long drawn out details conversations but a girl should be complfertable talking to her father what happens if she's home alone with dad and has a problem? My daughter would be fine going to hubby and telling him about any problem she has and he would be comfertable helping her however he could.

Quoting WillVon:

In my famil, You don't talk about it when dad is in the room. It's a woman thing only. Although men are allowed to pick up pads/tampons if you need it.

My hub is comfortable talking about it with me, but when our daughter is older and starts, it's all me to talk about with her, not hub.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Thats kind of how we look at it. It's really not a "thing" in this house. 

Quoting Paperfishies:

I can say that my father and I NEVER once spoke about anyone's period, including my own. Hell, I never even spoke to my mom about my period. No reason to, it would be like telling them "hey I just took a shit". It's a natural bodily function, no real reason to discuss it.
I find it very odd when parents are overly interested in their daughter's period.
My husband said he doesn't even want to know when our daughter's start because much like going to the bathroom, it's a private issue.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Right. There's nothing to discuss. It's life. I always found it weird when my female high school friends made it known they were on their period.

Quoting christina0607:

Thats kind of how we look at it. It's really not a "thing" in this house. 

Quoting Paperfishies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I never went out of my way to talk to my dad about my period, or my mom for that matter-- I was really private about my body during puberty.  But when you are dealing with things like bleeding through super plus tampons in less than an hour, passing out because you were anemic from the rapid blood loss, vomiting nonstop, etc.... "wait for mom to get home" is not an option.  There is nothing inappropriate about a parent being informed of their child's medical needs. 

I don't expect my boys to talk to me about every erection and every wet dream they experience when they are older, but I would absolutely need to know if they had a hernia or a change in their genitals, or pain with ejaculation, etc.  Having different genitalia doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't be an informed parent.  

Quoting WillVon:

If I had a problem I'd either wait for my mom to get home, text her, or deal with it myself.
It's the same with boobs. My dad doesn't want to know and I don't care to let him know what size I am or anything. It's just an inappropriate thing.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

This is why so many men are so clueless about women's bodies why is it such a tabo subject to talk about? I'm not talking long drawn out details conversations but a girl should be complfertable talking to her father what happens if she's home alone with dad and has a problem? My daughter would be fine going to hubby and telling him about any problem she has and he would be comfertable helping her however he could.

Quoting WillVon:

In my famil, You don't talk about it when dad is in the room. It's a woman thing only. Although men are allowed to pick up pads/tampons if you need it.

My hub is comfortable talking about it with me, but when our daughter is older and starts, it's all me to talk about with her, not hub.

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I never ever spoke to my dad even once about it. However, my hubby I do and he has no problems with it. 

WillVon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Well now if there was anything that horribly wrong with me I'd be tell my dad to take me to the freaking hospital.
I grew up in a family that believe, unless you are dying, walk it off.

Quoting RobinBright:

I never went out of my way to talk to my dad about my period, or my mom for that matter-- I was really private about my body during puberty.  But when you are dealing with things like bleeding through super plus tampons in less than an hour, passing out because you were anemic from the rapid blood loss, vomiting nonstop, etc.... "wait for mom to get home" is not an option.  There is nothing inappropriate about a parent being informed of their child's medical needs. 

I don't expect my boys to talk to me about every erection and every wet dream they experience when they are older, but I would absolutely need to know if they had a hernia or a change in their genitals, or pain with ejaculation, etc.  Having different genitalia doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't be an informed parent.  

Quoting WillVon:

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Quoting WillVon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Sucks.  I grew up in a family where health was important and I was able to talk to my father about things that seemed wrong.  At 10, I didn't know what anemia was and I didn't know what ovarian cysts were, so I told my parent what was hurting and he took care of me.  Odd.  

Quoting WillVon:

Well now if there was anything that horribly wrong with me I'd be tell my dad to take me to the freaking hospital.
I grew up in a family that believe, unless you are dying, walk it off.

Quoting RobinBright:

Quoting WillVon:

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Quoting WillVon:

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM
No I never did. It really wasn't his business. If DD wants to discuss it DH, that would be fine but I know he's not expecting it nor would he be hurt if she didn't.

I think it's a little creepy that a dad would want to be that involved...reminds of when Jessica Simpson's dad commented on her double Ds...just not his business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)