Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
It concerns me how many women think dads shouldn't know anything about girls periods..
Did you never talk to your father about yours even asking him to get you chocolate or pads? Does your husband shy away from the topic?
My husband will often pick up pads or chocolate for out girls. He has a general idea of when they are due to start (we don't really "track" them but they are around the same time every month) sometimes when we are out shopping as a family he will ask the girls "how are you on pads? Do we need to get more?" It's not a big deal in our house, sometimes he will know they started before me because they call him and ask him to get chocolate or something salty on his way home from work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
davnrori
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I would have sewed my shit up before I ever talked to my dad about my period. I grew up in an extremely abusive household, I never told my dad anything if I could help it. These days I don't talk about it with DH. I mean, he knows the general time of the month because I PMS like a psycho but we don't go out on a date and have a discussion about it. He's more of the mind that he doesn't need to know unless something is wrong and I completely agree with that. When the time comes for our two girls, currently 8yrs and 20 months, to have that talk then I will probably take the lead. It would be a mentally scarring moment for all involved if DH were to talk to them.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM

LOL my husband would never ask my daughter how her pads were.  If she needed them he would buy them, but it would be up to her to ask for them, like anything else.  She needs all sorts of things on a regular basis such as deodorant, shampoo, jeans, soda, lip gloss.... Does your husband have a particular fascination with her period or doees he go through an inventory of her needs? 

We dont consider chocolate a period need.  We always have snacks around if thats what she wants.  My husband isnt grossed out by anyones period, in the same way he is not interested in it.  Its a function of the female body- but not a topic of conversation any more than each others poop schedules. 

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM

My dad was the one that usually ran to the store for my supplies. My husband will if it's necessary but I try to make sure I'm never out and we don't have any girls so that will never come up.

AmericanChild82
by Chrissy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM

My dh and my dd's father both buy her pads when she needs them. I had to give them some idea of what to look for when I'm not home so they have an idea of when she's to start. She was with her dad when she started and he handled it perfectly.

Tigress22304
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM

my father actually had to explain to me what my period was (i started before i got that school lecture)

raising 3 girls with my mother-he always kept us stocked in tampons and pads

Now with DH-we have 2 girls-1 on the verge of getting her period-and he's refusing to admit that his little girl is "growing up*

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Oh lord! He's not fascinated with anyone's period! He just knows these are things we need they are kept in Te hall closet and if he's going shopping he looks to see what is needed. He also checks the hair products, tp, and cat litter. We don't usually have chocolate around Te house unless someone is craving it so if we are we ask him to stop and get it.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

LOL my husband would never ask my daughter how her pads were.  If she needed them he would buy them, but it would be up to her to ask for them, like anything else.  She needs all sorts of things on a regular basis such as deodorant, shampoo, jeans, soda, lip gloss.... Does your husband have a particular fascination with her period or doees he go through an inventory of her needs? 

We dont consider chocolate a period need.  We always have snacks around if thats what she wants.  My husband isnt grossed out by anyones period, in the same way he is not interested in it.  Its a function of the female body- but not a topic of conversation any more than each others poop schedules. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dlnimo
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM
My dad would buy my supplies for me when I needed him too. He would also come check up on be the days I was cramping and throwing up. It's not like I sat with him a discussed specifics of my period. My DH is the same way. He'll buy supplies for me and when my 3 girls start theirs he'll do it for them too!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

So he does not ask her about her pads?  Thats the part I find odd.  My husband doesnt keep track of anything he doesnt use.  Just like I dont know if he needs deoderant, he doesnt know if I need something unless its on the list.  My daughter and I use the same pads so she just depends on me to keep them stocked and I dont think she has ever asked anyone for pads.  

My husband does know if shampoo is low, tp is low and other things the whole family uses.  

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Oh lord! He's not fascinated with anyone's period! He just knows these are things we need they are kept in Te hall closet and if he's going shopping he looks to see what is needed. He also checks the hair products, tp, and cat litter. We don't usually have chocolate around Te house unless someone is craving it so if we are we ask him to stop and get it.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I'm not sure why everyone thinks there re detailed conversations going on lol this is exactly what I'm talking about we don't sit down and discuss with pictures or anything . For instance my husband noticed out oldest looked pale and asked her if she was feeling alright she told him she was in her period and he asked me if I thought she needed an iron supplement. I didn't notice she was pale unil he mentioned it.

Quoting dlnimo:

My dad would buy my supplies for me when I needed him too. He would also come check up on be the days I was cramping and throwing up. It's not like I sat with him a discussed specifics of my period. My DH is the same way. He'll buy supplies for me and when my 3 girls start theirs he'll do it for them too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Yes he does ask about pads because if he's going out anyway or we are all out together why not get everything all at once? Just like if I go out I may ask him if he needs shaving cream or athletes foot spray or I may ask my girls if they need certian supplies sometimes we forget to mention we are low on things and someone else asking is a reminder. I don't see why it's really that hard to understand.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

So he does not ask her about her pads?  Thats the part I find odd.  My husband doesnt keep track of anything he doesnt use.  Just like I dont know if he needs deoderant, he doesnt know if I need something unless its on the list.  My daughter and I use the same pads so she just depends on me to keep them stocked and I dont think she has ever asked anyone for pads.  

My husband does know if shampoo is low, tp is low and other things the whole family uses.  

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)