Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you quit your job for your spouse?

Posted by   + Show Post

I only work part time as a teacher, but it is my career.  I obviously went to college to do this specific job and I love my job.  My husband has a very good job that pays well but he is getting burnt out.  He would like to quit his job and open a game store, similar to a games by james and air traffic type store, maybe comic books as well as collector items too.  He would eventually like to make it a full blown toy store with nice toys such as mellisa and doug or playmobil type things.

He has been working hard to make a business plan (he is in business and finance now, mainly with IT but he is an executive). The only way his dream will work and we can keep our finances in tact is if I quit my job and run the store so he can keep his high paying job until we see a profit and according to his conservative projections that is several years down the road, if ever.  Small businesses do fail.

The pros are Im still near the kids schools, the kids can be at the shop with me, my sister would like to come work with us as well and most of all its my husbands dream.  He has wanted this for many years, he has researched and saved in order to do this.  The con is I have to give up on my career path, and Ive already given up many years in order to raise kids.  This shop may not even work, which is why he doesnt want to give up his job. 

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM

That is a good idea.  I will mention it to him. 

Quoting mcwife86:

also i just wanted to put this out there since my husband and i collect comic books and move often which in turn exposes us to a lot of stores. one comic store in California has boxes that you pay like 10 bucks a month for and this box behind the counter that only the store worker can get to is where all of the new issues of a certain comic go. so for example we paid 10 bucks a month and collected the marvel civil war series...we wanted all variants and basic copies of each issue and the tie ins. the guy went through the shipment as soon as they came in and picked out the best conditioned ones and put them in the box and once every 2 weeks or so we would go buy and grab them from him and pay :) this way he got some extra cash for the box and we weren't worried abt having to pick through dented up comics looking for a back issue we missed.

SoKamele
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM

yep..in a heart beat.

Due9
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Personally, I would LOVE to work in a small business of my and dh's own, instead of for any employer. I would do it in a second! But that is me. If you love your teaching job and don't want to quit teaching, maybe you can tutor part time or teach somewhere in the evening part time.

(Me and dh are actually starting the thinking process on what type of business we want to have in the future. He makes very good money, and we have even thought of buying a Subway or something if nothing else comes up. Or maybe real estate. )

itsm3
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

honestly, i wouldn't.  it's important for BOTH of you to reach your goals/dreams but it seems like you're getting the short end of the stick.  whether you admit it or not, seems like you already feel you've given up so much and don't want to do this.  

if it tanks - and let's face it, the economy sucks and is not a time to open up any business, esp something that's not a necessity - you'll only resent him.  teaching jobs are already hard to come by (for many cities) and giving up your job for something you don't really want to do will only harbour resentment.  just my 2 cents.

gr8d8n3mom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I wouldn't even have to think about this. I would quit and help out my husband, because ultimately it's helping the family, giving it works out. It sounds like your Dh is on the right path with this.

I have also told my DH that I would move to what ever state his company might move him to with out hesitation, even though my kids & grand kids are here. He is my husband, I support anything he needs or wants, as he does me.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I would but I don't have a career and have a strong background in retail.

I am also  a huge advocate of privately owned stores.

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I worked as a insurance adjuster for 5+yrs. My DH was a SAHd. my DH got an incredible job offer and I quit to be a SAHM. I want to go back to work and probably will after baby #4 is born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Yes, I would.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

My only suggestion for you if you do do it, is not to treat your customers like they are beneath you - as you are apt to do with everyone here.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Nope not happening
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)