Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you quit your job for your spouse?

Posted by   + Show Post

I only work part time as a teacher, but it is my career.  I obviously went to college to do this specific job and I love my job.  My husband has a very good job that pays well but he is getting burnt out.  He would like to quit his job and open a game store, similar to a games by james and air traffic type store, maybe comic books as well as collector items too.  He would eventually like to make it a full blown toy store with nice toys such as mellisa and doug or playmobil type things.

He has been working hard to make a business plan (he is in business and finance now, mainly with IT but he is an executive). The only way his dream will work and we can keep our finances in tact is if I quit my job and run the store so he can keep his high paying job until we see a profit and according to his conservative projections that is several years down the road, if ever.  Small businesses do fail.

The pros are Im still near the kids schools, the kids can be at the shop with me, my sister would like to come work with us as well and most of all its my husbands dream.  He has wanted this for many years, he has researched and saved in order to do this.  The con is I have to give up on my career path, and Ive already given up many years in order to raise kids.  This shop may not even work, which is why he doesnt want to give up his job. 

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (21-22):
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

It would be irresponsible, in my opinion, for the main breadwinner to give up his job while starting a new business. I think it makes sense, financially, to ask it of the partner making less.

Yes, OP, I would.

Quoting davnrori:

It depends on how closely my husband's dream tied into my own goals. I know that sounds selfish but here's the thing: I don't want to be miserable making someone else happy. Marriage is a compromise. It might seem to your DH that because you work part-time and bring in less money that it makes more sense for you to quit your job and help him realize his ultimate fantasy of runnning his own small business. Would he be willing to make the same sacrifice for you? The first 5 years of running a small business are the most difficult and require "boots-on-the-ground" type work. Physically handing out advertisements, making business connections and networking, and coordinating events so that the business gets, and stays, in the public eye. This is not a small thing that your husband is asking you to do. I would tell him that he can't have his cake and eat it too. Either he makes a sacrifice equal to what he's asking you or he's not as dedicated to his dream as he's asking you to be.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I would not be willing to do it. I don't understand how your husband having a stressful job makes it a good idea to open a business that he isn't even working at. How exactly will that make life less stressful for either of you? How much say do you have in the business and products sold? There just seems like to many variables that could make this issue go bad. I also would be really irritated that my husband thought so little of my dream to even ask this of me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)