Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Flu Vaccine question

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you?

Options:

Had the flu, no vaccine

Had the flu, vaccinated

haven't had the flu, vacinated

haven't had the flu, no vaccine

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

We're facing the dilema right now of having to decide whether to get the flu vac for our kids.  I know that the vaccine is really just their guess at which strains will be prevalent in the coming season, so it may or may not work.  I also know that there is an extraordinary amount of people who are seriously ill with the flu this year.  My question is how many of you have had the flu this year, how many have gotten it even though you were vaccinated?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM
DD has never been exposed to the flu shot and the one year i got it, I was so horribly sick. We do not get that one at all.
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM
My son got the flu shot today. I wish they offered it sooner, he got the flu during the holidays. Poor guy was miserable and slept for hours. Then he got me and my husband sick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

We don't get the flu vaccine.  We are, generally, healthy and I see no reason for healthy people to get flu shots.  I have had the flu twice in my life - once as a teen and once in my 20s (I'm 39 now).

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM
We do not do the flu vaccine (or any others).For the first time in years hubby and I had the flu right after Christmas.Doesn't change our opinion on the vaccine.
dychemommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

We don't like getting the vaccine, either.  Can't remember the last time I had the flu, if  have ever had it, and hubby only got it because he got the vaccine.  I heard somewhere that some people have died this year fromt eh flu because they got it so bad so I was curious how everyone else was fairing.

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Quoting dychemommy:

We don't like getting the vaccine, either.  Can't remember the last time I had the flu, if  have ever had it, and hubby only got it because he got the vaccine.  I heard somewhere that some people have died this year fromt eh flu because they got it so bad so I was curious how everyone else was fairing.

People die every year from the flu.....that's just the way it is sometimes.  The best you can do is take care of yourself, eat a balanced diet, wash your hands often with soap and water (try to avoid hand sanitizer s and antibacterial soap as much as possible), try get get decent sleep, etc.  If you get sick STAY HOME so as not to infect others.  If you must, go to the doctor, but then follow doc's orders and stay home for as long as he/she suggests.

dychemommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting dychemommy:

People die every year from the flu.....that's just the way it is sometimes.  The best you can do is take care of yourself, eat a balanced diet, wash your hands often with soap and water (try to avoid hand sanitizer s and antibacterial soap as much as possible), try get get decent sleep, etc.  If you get sick STAY HOME so as not to infect others.  If you must, go to the doctor, but then follow doc's orders and stay home for as long as he/she suggests.

Yeah, we don't do hand sanitizers very often.  Seems like there were more deaths so far than there usually are, is what I meant.  Hoping we don't get it!  Its kind of a nasty one this year.  I know several people who have gotten it and it is worse than in years past.

Mistygirl
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM

We all got vaccinated and we all still got a horrible strain of the flu

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Quoting dychemommy:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting dychemommy:

Yeah, we don't do hand sanitizers very often.  Seems like there were more deaths so far than there usually are, is what I meant.  Hoping we don't get it!  Its kind of a nasty one this year.  I know several people who have gotten it and it is worse than in years past.

I have heard that it is pretty bad in the states.  I was just talking to my father - who lives in PA - last night and he said the local hospital has opened up a separate ER area for flu cases only....to keep them away from people in the ER for other reasons.  I don't know what the actual statistics are....but every year they say things are worse than before.  I try not to b into the alarmist side of things.

Stay healthy. :-)

Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Quoting dychemommy:

I know that the vaccine is really just their guess at which strains will be prevalent in the coming season, so it may or may not work. 

The guesswork is done well in advance of the flu season when the CDC predicts which strain of the flu will become prevalent in the upcoming flu season.  Then a vaccine is developed for that strain, and mass produced for distribution in October.    Right now we are in the heart of the flu season and the strain that is hitting so hard it known.  The vaccine given this year covers the current virulent strain.  I hope this information helps you with your decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN