Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The Worst Lie My Four Year Old Has Ever Told....

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

I got home for lunch today and my husband was visibly upset. He said he got called back by my daughter's preschool teacher today when he went to pick her up. She told her teacher that my husband hit her in the stomach and I hit her in the eye last night and that her "mimi" which is my mom, was upset about it. None of this ever happened and she's been in this lying phase lately that I don't like. The preschool director said she doesn't think there is a threat, but if she thought so, she would have called CPS. I am very upset by this. We do spank occasionally, and I give her a little arm squeeze when she's bad sometimes just to get her attention, but we are never and have never been abusive parents or did the things she spoke of. 

I feel helpless because she's been lying a lot lately about things, blaming things on her little sister and acting out at times. I thought it was getting better lately but obviously not. It's now worrying me what she is going to school and telling people. 

We thought it might be that she needs more attention, so we've set aside time to take her by herself, without little sis, on a fun day. We tried lunch and movie a few months ago and she was horrible. She acted out the whole time and we had to leave a half hour into the movie. When we asked her what was wrong and why she was acting like that, she said she was jealous that her aunt got to watch her sister but she didn't get to be there. 

Any advice?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

i woiuld let her know what would happen if she kept telling those lies

karabearblu
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We let her know and asked her if she understood. She said yes and apologized. We all had a little talk on my lunch break. I hope she really does understand.

Quoting silverdawn99:

i woiuld let her know what would happen if she kept telling those lies

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

_WC_Mama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Oh man I am sorry I would talk to her about lying...I have no advice for You but here is a bump

BUMP

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I thought maybe ODD, but lying doesn't appear to be one of the symptoms. I'm sorry, wish I had some advice. :/ 

Edit: Actually the lying (the type of lie) would fall under the vindictive and spiteful criteria. The rest, about her being jealous of her sister like that, of you not being able to please her, reminds me a lot of what I have heard about it from others. However at 4, she'd be too young to diagnose probably.

lovemyirish
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I would tell her that those kind of lies can get her taken away from you and her daddy. Hopefully that will give hera rreality check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I would speak to her dr. and get all of this noted, god forbid she continues to tell similar stories and the authorities get involved.

kappalopokis
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Once when DS was about 3 he asked me to buy him candy at the store. He was being bad, so I said no.

He screamed "I don't know you! Help! Get away from me!" And started screaming and crying.

That was fun! Fortunately he and I shopped there together all the time, so the store manager vouched for me.

Yikes!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
karabearblu
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Oh no! I hope this is just a little stage for her. We had a serious talk with her today about what could happen if she
Lied about something like this again.

Quoting kappalopokis:

Once when DS was about 3 he asked me to buy him candy at the store. He was being bad, so I said no.

He screamed "I don't know you! Help! Get away from me!" And started screaming and crying.

That was fun! Fortunately he and I shopped there together all the time, so the store manager vouched for me.

Yikes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM

Had a similar incident happen when my eldest was 4. My mother was with me at the time and vouched, but I am just curious - what the hell happens if there is nobody to vouch?

Quoting karabearblu:

Oh no! I hope this is just a little stage for her. We had a serious talk with her today about what could happen if she
Lied about something like this again.

Quoting kappalopokis:

Yikes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN