Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who is at fault

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 26 Replies

If a grocery cart runs away and hits a car?

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SJF1989
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Was the cart attendant pushing them? If so its their fault, your only suppose to push the amount if an arms length which is generally 5. Atleast that was in my training back is '10
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I see signs in grocery store parking lots ALL the time that says they are not responsible if a cart hits your car. I have no idea if this is true or not. I always return my cart either to the inside of the store, or push it into one of the cart return things. That is a good question OP!!

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Quoting SJF1989:

Was the cart attendant pushing them? If so its their fault, your only suppose to push the amount if an arms length which is generally 5. Atleast that was in my training back is '10

No. It was returned to a cart rack in the parking lot and was fine when left. Then all of the sudden it took off across the aisle and hit a trucks tailgate.

shyone_91786
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Was it pushed all the way in or some of the way in, I know that I have to re check sometimes becasue it will start to move when I think it's fine. Hard to say but i would say who ever put it in and did not check could be at fault. hope the car was not damaged

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting SJF1989:

No. It was returned to a cart rack in the parking lot and was fine when left. Then all of the sudden it took off across the aisle and hit a trucks tailgate.

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM

The car owner is responsible for damages done by shopping carts. (most stores have signs up that clearly state as much, even if it's in fine print and not in someplace you would think to look). 

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM

The rack was almost full so it was pushed in as far as it would go. And the person did wait for a min to make sure it was going to stay and it did not attempt to move. And did not move for another two or three mins after it was left there. And it did put a scratch on the tailgate of the truck.

Quoting shyone_91786:

Was it pushed all the way in or some of the way in, I know that I have to re check sometimes becasue it will start to move when I think it's fine. Hard to say but i would say who ever put it in and did not check could be at fault. hope the car was not damaged

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting SJF1989:

sarah824
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

If a person (customer or store employee) was pushing it and lost control then it would be their fault.

If it was a random cart in the parking lot and it happened to hit your car then there would be no blame.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quoting sarah824:

If a person (customer or store employee) was pushing it and lost control then it would be their fault.

If it was a random cart in the parking lot and it happened to hit your car then there would be no blame.

No one was pushing it but it had been recently put in the rack and the person that put it there was still in the parking lot when it happened.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I think that's just one of the risks when parking at a shopping center.  If a cart hits your car and you want to fix the dent or scratch, you're on your own.  Some people park far away from the other cars and carts to  minimize the risk...

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

In the situation you're describing, the owner of the car is SOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)