Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need help asap!!!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am making a coffee cake. The recipe said to fold in butter. I cut the butter in slices but I cannot mix it by hand because the butter is hard. Can I use an electric mixer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
T-HoneyLuv
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Bump! Nobody knows?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Wait a few moments for the butter to soften.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I'm not sure, but bump for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to wait for the butter to soften. If you don't it won't mix well and could make the cake not turn out right.
If the butter isn't covered in the other ingredients yet try to fish it out and put it in a small bowl and put it in the microwave on defrost for a few seconds. Make sure you use defrost instead of cook because the cook setting in the microwave will not only melt it but it can scorch it really fast too.

For future referance always let the butter and eggs sit out for a bit to warm up when making cakes or cookies from scratch, it helps them blend much better and help them turn out better.

opal10161973
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to have this issue too, before it was explained to me what folding the butter in really meant.  I scorched the butter and it ruined the recipe.  Please be careful with it. 

Quoting aj23:

You need to wait for the butter to soften. If you don't it won't mix well and could make the cake not turn out right.
If the butter isn't covered in the other ingredients yet try to fish it out and put it in a small bowl and put it in the microwave on defrost for a few seconds. Make sure you use defrost instead of cook because the cook setting in the microwave will not only melt it but it can scorch it really fast too.

For future referance always let the butter and eggs sit out for a bit to warm up when making cakes or cookies from scratch, it helps them blend much better and help them turn out better.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Thank you so much! The batter is sticky, thick and hard to spread across the pan. Did I screw it up?

Quoting aj23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

They are probably talking softened butter.  Like room temp butter.  Possibly whipped up creamy. Where you could whip the butter with an electric mixer.

Bax
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Usually you don't fold in butter. Are you sure the directions didn't say to fold XXXX ingredient into butter mixure?

Jessy613
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Bump

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Nope. It said fold butter into the flour, sugar, and baking soda. I hope it comes out ok!

Quoting Bax:

Usually you don't fold in butter. Are you sure the directions didn't say to fold XXXX ingredient into butter mixure?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)