Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is this correct?(about tax)

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 9 Replies
My bff said that you can't file you taxes until january 30th?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
XxPixiesworldxX
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
You can file depending on the company you file through, but federal wont go through until jan 22nd... I used turbo tax and they hold on to it until the 22nd...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM
You can FILE anytime but they wont process till 30th
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bax
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

The federal government allows business until Jan 31 to get out tax forms.  This includes W-2's, 1099's, bank interest, dividends, state & local refunds from the previous year etc.  Waiting until the 31st to file means you have all the information you need to file correctly.  This year, efile opens for business on Jan 22nd, so as long as you understand that if something arrives in the mail that you forgot about, that you will have to ammend the return the IRS will begin accepting filings on the 22nd.

supermom0609
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM
So im filing through turbotax and we just have one w-2 so if we efile we COULD have it by 29th?

Quoting Bax:

The federal government allows business until Jan 31 to get out tax forms.  This includes W-2's, 1099's, bank interest, dividends, state & local refunds from the previous year etc.  Waiting until the 31st to file means you have all the information you need to file correctly.  This year, efile opens for business on Jan 22nd, so as long as you understand that if something arrives in the mail that you forgot about, that you will have to ammend the return the IRS will begin accepting filings on the 22nd.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adexecmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

My neighbor is a tax preparer and told me the other day that electronic filing won't begin until January 30th.  Places saying to bring the information now can't send off until they have W-2s and January 30th.

supermom0609
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Even turbo tax?

Quoting Adexecmom:

My neighbor is a tax preparer and told me the other day that electronic filing won't begin until January 30th.  Places saying to bring the information now can't send off until they have W-2s and January 30th.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adexecmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

She texted me exactly what I wrote.  I'm assuming it has to do with the changes in the tax laws.  But the IRS won't start processing taxes until January 30th, and I've read other places that the returns will take longer this year than in years past.  You may take your taxes somewhere and they may give you an advance on your return, but those places prey on the low income earners.  They charge a high price for those advances.  The best thing to do is turbo tax online.  And any questions anyone has about returns can be answered at the IRS website.

Quoting supermom0609:

Even turbo tax?

Quoting Adexecmom:

aj23
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM

You can send in your return at any time. The IRS won't do a thing with it until the 30th.
There is no efile or tax company that can do it any earlier.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Plans-Jan.-30-Tax-Season-Opening-For-1040-Filers

MichelleJ1000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM
This plus some of the forms are not ready for use. For example if you have dependents and get the child tax credit the form is not available yet.

Quoting aj23:

You can send in your return at any time. The IRS won't do a thing with it until the 30th.
There is no efile or tax company that can do it any earlier.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Plans-Jan.-30-Tax-Season-Opening-For-1040-Filers

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)