Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you buy a vehicle if...

Posted by   + Show Post

You knew they were changing the names of all of their models in 2014.

Infiniti is changing the names of their cars and SUVS. Instead of an alphabet of letters like, G's, M's, Jx's -all cars will start with Q proceeded by a number and all SUVs will start with QX proceeded by a number.

This means, anyone buying an Infiniti now or before now will have the old nomenclature on their car. So if I decide to buy the 2013 JX35, by the end of this year it will be an old name because the JX35 will become the QX60. The actual model won't change at all for 2014, just the model name.

This sucks because I don't want to get a car that will be considered "old" when I just paid so much for it. Would this name change mean anything to you or would you still buy the car now? Or wait for the 2014 new name model?

juggling

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM

i guess i dont understnad

they totaled their car and they are still driving it?

Quoting MissTacoBell:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Here's why:

My parents bought a 99 Chevy cavalier. They loved it. So when it got totaled they wanted another one but they stopped making the cavalier in 05 and started the new Cobalt line. It was mechanically the same car as the cavalier, but different chassis and name.

They are now driving a car that has no working: gas gage, rpm gage, heat gage, radio, keyless entry, car alarm/panic alarm. That's not considering the laundry list of stuff the warranty paid for before it ended AND what my parents have paid to fix.

Chevy doesn't care. They refuse to recall it. Why should they? They don't care what bad rep a car they are no longer trying to sell has. If it was a cobalt in 06? Of course they'd fix anything to get you to recommend the car.

Theres nothing in it for them to stand behind the car. That's no different with other manufacturers.

Go with a model they are going to keep making or you may be buying a half-assed piece of crap and be stuck with the repair bill AND a car payment.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I dont know enough about cars to care about names.  I only concern myself with how it feels to drive it and how reliable it is. 

sherry132
by Sherry on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I have a cobalt and love it. Never had a problem. 

Quoting MissTacoBell:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Here's why:

My parents bought a 99 Chevy cavalier. They loved it. So when it got totaled they wanted another one but they stopped making the cavalier in 05 and started the new Cobalt line. It was mechanically the same car as the cavalier, but different chassis and name.

They are now driving a car that has no working: gas gage, rpm gage, heat gage, radio, keyless entry, car alarm/panic alarm. That's not considering the laundry list of stuff the warranty paid for before it ended AND what my parents have paid to fix.

Chevy doesn't care. They refuse to recall it. Why should they? They don't care what bad rep a car they are no longer trying to sell has. If it was a cobalt in 06? Of course they'd fix anything to get you to recommend the car.

Theres nothing in it for them to stand behind the car. That's no different with other manufacturers.

Go with a model they are going to keep making or you may be buying a half-assed piece of crap and be stuck with the repair bill AND a car payment.

.betty.white.
by bilf on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

your reasoning makes no sense... lol.  that wouldn't stop me from buying a car I wanted...  I specifically sought out an older model car because I like the body style as I know many others that have done that... 

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I wouldnt care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
No they had a 99 cavalier that got totaled, but it was a great car. They liked it so much that their next car was an 05 cavalier. 05 is the last year they made it. It's trash. Everything breaks. I even googled it and THOUSANDS of them have the same set of problems.

Quoting silverdawn99:

i guess i dont understnad

they totaled their car and they are still driving it?

Quoting MissTacoBell:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Here's why:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I would be buying the 2013 with the letter name. Why because it is going to be way cheaper and it is the am same car!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM
This is exactly what I was about to say.

Quoting babyspots17:

I would be buying the 2013 with the letter name. Why because it is going to be way cheaper and it is the am same car!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dychemommy
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I wouldn't worry about it.  If it is a good car, the name won't matter and any car that has the previous year on the registration is going to be considered "old" as soon as the new ones are on the road, new name or not.  It won't lower the value of the car any.  After all, you drive the engine, not the stick on letter and numbers they put on the back.  Besides, car companies tend to change the names on a model of car for 2 reasons, sales of that car are down and they think a new name will boost the appeal int eh public's eye or they have made tiny changes that potentially aren't going to be better or may be cheap quality parts where formerly there were nice parts and they want to put a new name on it to trick people into thinking it is better.  Thats my observation, anyhow.

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Frankly, I wish they'd make them inthe most basic form possible without all the fancy add ons and frills so that they were more affordable. I buy a car to get from point A to point B, and all I care about is that it does so safely and doesn't cost me a fortune in gas or maintenance and that it has a heater/defroster in the wintertime. Rolled down windows are good enough for me in the summer.  If I want something to navigate, talk to me or sing to me, I'll bring along a friend. I could care less what the thing is named, it's not a horse!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN