Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your Experience with All Natural Labor

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 43 Replies

I am debating on whether or not to have a natural labor or not? I had the epidural and pain meds to help me with my last two deliveries, but with this one I want to experience a natural delivery. Did you go all natural and how was it?

juggling

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rjsmommy214
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM
My third was natural, and it went great. I didn't even tear because I was able to feel and push with the contractions instead of how I was being told to. She came pretty fast, too. If you're prepared for it and know what to expect, natural labor is IMO the way to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aydnsmommy
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Mine was awsome. Don't get me wrong, it did hurt like hell, but I loved it.

Here is my birth story with dd... Sorry it is so long. I have it saved to my computer and just copy and pasted it! Lol

My birth story starts many weeks before I actually gave birth. In my second trimester I kept having issues with keeping my blood sugar up. For some reason, Drs could not figure out why it never would rise higher than 75. I had many tests and had lots of monitoring, but, in the end, I was told that there was nothing they could do and that my baby would be watched very closely for signs of growth and as soon as she stopped growing, she would be delivered. I spent weeks of ultrasounds and dr visits and never thought about reaching my due date. At my 20 week ultrasound I was told she was breech. "Great, another reason to have a C-section". My goal was to make it to 30 weeks, so I ate and ate and ate to try to keep my blood sugars as high as I could for her, and packed my bags just in case I was not going to be coming home from a dr appointment. 30 weeks came and went and she was still growing!!! My next goal was 34 weeks, and that flew by! At 37 weeks I was ecstatic! My midwife was shocked, but told me to be prepared for a tiny baby. She said no more than 6 pounds. She gave me the go ahead to do all the natural things to bring on labor. I walked and walked and walked despite the pain of her sitting on my stiatic nerve. At 39 weeks, I went in for my check up and told the midwife that my back was feeling better and I was feeling done with being pregnant! Lol She did another ultra sound and the baby flipped head down!!! I was beginning to feel that things were finally working out!!! The midwife stripped my membranes and told me what to watch out for. At 40 weeks 1 day I went in for another checkup. We joked about how we did not think I was going to be in that office at that time STILL pregnant!! She stripped my membranes again and we set an induction date just in case. That was a Friday. Saturday I walked and walked. Sunday I decided I needed to clean ALL day. That night I was completely done with being pregnant. I bounced hard on my birthing ball, did nipple stimulation (with midwife approval only), and walked. I finally said to myself "Fine!! You win! You can come when you want to!!" I took a bath and told the lord that I trust him and when he decides it is time to have this baby then that is when it will be.

At 6am the next morning, I woke to pee again! Lol. As I was drifting back to sleep, I started noticing my back hurt, but I just ignored it and tried to sleep some more before I had to get my son up for school. In my sleep haze, I realized it really hurts, but it went away. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. That was a contraction! I lay there for a little and another one! I started thinking of all the things I was told to do to tell if it was false labor, so I roll over and change positions. Another contraction! I sit up, another contraction! I start timing them and they are 4 min apart! I look at the clock and it is right before 7 am, so I call my husband who is just getting off of work and tell him I think I am in labor. He hurries home. I get up and start getting things ready. When hubby walks through the door, the contractions hurt! I was already having to rock through them. He starts packing my son's bag and calling his dad to let him know to pick up my son from school. Well Papa took his car into the shop the day before and did not have a vehicle to pick up my son, so I called his teacher and left her a message (during a contraction, which the teacher thought was actually pretty funny I would call while in labor!). I then called my midwife and they said I could come in to be checked and I asked if I could stay home for a little while, and she agreed.  I did a load of laundry, why I have no idea but something said to do laundry lol! Threw the last little tidbits of things into my bag and got my son ready, all while having contractions that I cannot talk through and have to stand and rock through. We dropped my son off at 9:30 and got to the hospital at about 10:00am. The car ride sucked!!! The contractions were getting stronger and closer and hurt waaayyy more!!! While in triage, the nurse said the midwife was in a delivery so I would have to wait a little while to be checked if I was going to be admitted. I kept rocking my hips through contractions and told my husband I hope I am at least at 3 cm so I can get the damn epidural! About a half hour later, the midwife comes in and says "what can we do for you?" I tell her to give me an epidural lol! She says she needs to check me because I may have to go home or walk the hallways first. She checks me and I am at 6cm!!! I was in shock!!! At that point my fear had started going away and I became confident. I was transferred to a room and my contractions started to slow down to 4-8 minutes. I took a 3o minute break with them slower and less intense and then decided to get them going again and hopped in the shower. I spent a good hour in there and it was awesome!!!!! The contractions did pick up again but the water felt soooooo good!!!! I didn't even have to focus through the contractions if the water was on my back! I decided to get out because I was starting to feel dizzy. I got dressed and WHAM!!! The contraction hit me with a vengeance! I was debating on getting the epidural so I called the midwife in and she checked me and I was at 8cm!!! Again I was shocked! The midwife gave me 3 options.

1)      Continue to labor as I am with no epidural and see what happens.

2)      Since I was moving so fast any ways, break my water and endure really  strong contractions and probably have a baby within two hours

3)      Get the epidural and potentially have the baby right after or it might slow down labor

I decided for option number 2. She broke my water and told the nurse to page her if I started feeling pressure. Then it all started. The contractions were the worst thing I had ever felt. I could feel them in my knees and arms it felt like. I was sitting in the bed and something told me to put my heels together and spread my hips, so I did and I could not move from that position. The contractions were about a minute apart and very intense. About 10 minutes later I felt something weird, so the nurse paged the midwife and she checked me again and I was still at 8cm but she said the baby is really really low and not to be afraid of that pressure. She said I will know when I need to push and left. The nurse never left. She held my hand and kept encouraging me along with my husband and about 20 minutes later I knew I needed to push. The nurse paged the midwife again and she came in and checked me and said "the baby is literally right here. I can feel her head". With the next contraction she told me to push and it felt sooo GOOD!!! Then I hear "WAIT!!! Stop!!! I need gloves! I need gloves!!!" She rushes out into the hall to grab the birthing tray. I could not stop pushing. It was impossible and I do not know why lol. When she got back in the room with the tray, she threw on her gloves as fast as she could and just in time to grab the head before it was completely out. One more push and the body was delivered!! And there she was!! My baby girl!!! And time slowed down. Every one relaxed. She was perfect. Hubby cut the cord and the nurses whisked her off to be checked. My midwife and the nurse were joking about how fast the delivery went. From the time I started pushing to the time she was on my chest was 4 minutes. They weighed her and she was 7 pounds and 9.9 ounces and 20 inches long. I looked at my midwife and asked "where is my only 6 pound baby?! LOL"

She had a little trouble nursing at first due to swallowing amniotic fluid and it all not being squeezed out because of her rapid delivery, but other than that, everything was perfect. I am so proud I stuck by my decision to go pain free, even though I was not planning to in the beginning. It is such an empowering feeling to know I did that!

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I've gone natural twice out of three births and I prefer it :) good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kc0001
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I wont lie, it felt like that scene on Alien when the little alien rips from the inside out... HOWEVER! Totally worth it, very little recovery time I was up and walking within no time at all. No residual effects of medication lingering and making me groggy, I would do it over again if I wanted more kids. Oh I should add, I wasn't planning a no-med birth, I was blessed with one bc my son came on a busy night... My daughter was natural to the last stretch of labor then I received an epidural, it was a harder recovery and I had more issues afterwards.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Hurt like hell but the second she came out the pain stopped. Until they pushed on my uterus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I had epidurals with my first four deliveries.

My fifth delivery was so fast that there wasn't time for any types of pain meds.....heck, I almost didnt make it to the hospital!  (From first contraction to holding him in my arms took 90 minutes.). A 'natural delivery' was NEVER something I wanted to do.  I basically went from nothing to transition-labor.....it was horrible, painful, the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.  I am greatful that it didnt last long - I never would have been able to deal with that level of pain for an extended period of time.  The only upside was that as soon as DS was out the pain shut off like a faucet....all done, no more pain at all.  If it hadn't been for DS needing some monitoring......I would have just wrapped him up and left the hospital as soon as the placenta was out.

BrittBratt
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM

All 6 of my babies were natural births-- even my twins.

It can really hurt bad, BUT for some women it isn't that awful. My twin's labor was SO easy. I was at I think 5cm, contracting every 5 minutes with HIGH peaks on the monitor, and Twin A's water had broken already before labor started. Honest to God... I was in NO pain. NONE! The nurse was watching my monitors and as I was chatting away during a supposedly strong one, asked me " Do you even FEEL that??!!" LOL. I felt the pressure in my belly but no actual pain. Then the OB decided to insert a damn Internal fetal monitor and it's like my body FREAKED that something was in my cervix and uterus! I went from 0 pain to a 10 in less than 20 minutes and also from 6cm to 10cm in those 20 minutes.

I wish all of my labors had been that painless ;)  With the others, it hurt like Hell from the start but it's better for the baby, and the recovery is usually very fast afterwards.

destiny2nv
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM
bump :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
legobaby
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM
With my first, it was hell, but I was induced because of my BP, and Pitocin births are known for being painful. I felt like i was dying. i couldnt get an epidural because the anesthesiologist was in surgery. Also, my son has always had a big head. Between that and it being my first baby, I had a 4th degree tear. I got curious and googled that the other day--bad idea! LOL!

With my second baby, I had her 20 minutes after getting to the hospital. It was very painful, but it wasn't nearly as bad as my first with the Pitocin. I think I would have wanted an epidural if she hadn't come so fast.

I think I will probably get an epidural with the next one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)