Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why does he do that?!?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 11 Replies
My parents recently gained custody of my cousin's 18-month-old son. By recently, I mean his mom signed over her rights on Friday and they took him home.

I went to my parents house last night to drop some stuff off for my mom and she and I started talking about his little quirks. My mom is concerned. He hasn't been to a doctor since he was 2 months old. Here are the two things he does that are kinda odd.

- When he is sitting, he will constantly move his feet around in circles. He's done that since he was a baby.

- He will bang his head into things on purpose. For instance, when sitting on the couch, he will lean completely forward and then slam his head back into the back of the couch. One time his mom watched him bang his head into the living room wall for 15 minutes. (Why the hell she let him do that for 15 minutes is beyond me)

The head banging thing causes the most concern. I've never seen a baby do that. It's just so bizarre. And he will do it for extended periods of time. When my grandparents had custody of him, my grandma said he would do it for hours. Again, why anyone let him continue to bash his head into shit is beyond me.

Have you ever seen a child do this? Is this "normal"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I guess I would first see if he isnt stimulated enough and its just something to do.  Allowing him to do that for 15 minutes tells me grandma isnt any more stimulating than mom was.  I would make sure he had toys and plenty of one on one attention.  Dont let him watch tv.  Im guessing hes had his limit on that already. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

YEs I've seen babies do that.

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM
DD banged her head on the wall. It was normal. Asking the doctor us a good first step.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeghanPerez
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM
His mom hasn't had him since he was about two weeks old. She would go to grandma's once a week to see her son, but only because she wanted money from grandma. Grandma is not in good health, so keeping up with him was a challenge, to say the least. Now that he's with my parents, things will be much different.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I guess I would first see if he isnt stimulated enough and its just something to do.  Allowing him to do that for 15 minutes tells me grandma isnt any more stimulating than mom was.  I would make sure he had toys and plenty of one on one attention.  Dont let him watch tv.  Im guessing hes had his limit on that already. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM
For some reason, banging their head is a normal thing for young children. I was under the impression it helps them create a sense of the boundary of their own body. Check with the dr. but I am confident the head banging thing is normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Master_Debater
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM
My dd is almost 4. She still does that with her head cause she thinks it's funny. She's a goofball.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I am sure that it is somewhat normal...until a child is allowed to do that for 15 min. at a time, regularly. I imagine that there could possibly be some damage. I am sure your parents will take him to the dr. but be sure they tell the dr. his history.

jltplk25
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My son went through that phase but never did he bang his head that much. It could be a stimulation thing. Good luck!

Looking for the perfect accessory for your little Princess? Check us out at La Jolie Belle Boutique!

GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM
My son used to run into walls..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cognito
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Does he seem to be developmentally on track otherwise? Head banging is a common phase, but not typically to that extreme. It sounds like there has been a lack of interaction & stimulation. I'm sure your parents will be taking him to a ped, but they can also contact your state's early intervention program for an eval if they have concerns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN