Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

eczema and humidifier?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM
  • 14 Replies
my son has some pretty bad eczema. and i have heard about a humidifier helping with the eczema? i asked his dr and he knew nothing. i was wondering if this has any truth to it? and if it does then cool or warm?
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lacy_2
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:23 AM
I have never heard that!! My dd has mild eczema on the back of her arms. But honestly don't know!

Merry Christmas to Everyone!!!

taurus715
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:23 AM
i will bump until someone answers.
kayjaysmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:24 AM
my daughter has ecsema too and she has been to every doctor that u can thinkof for it they keep giving her creamsthat did not help the only thing i have found that helps is to use baby soap cause of the gentle formulas in it and rub vascaline on her and that keeps it from flaring up ,, i have never heard of a vaporizer do that ,,, but keep me post ,, i understand what u are going thru try that k ,,
supermom200
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:24 AM
It can help, but you don't want it to be to humid. We use wood heat, so it is dry air so we use a pot of water on the stove. Me a 2 of my daughters have it real bad too.
This may also sound funny, but olive oil helps too. I even had a doc tell me that he used Crisco on his son and it worked wonders.
those2rmine
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:27 AM
my son has eczema on his face and the back of his head, and heat usually  makes it worse. i have never heard of a humidifier working for it.
I have a ? now that you bring eczema, I'm nursing and thinking about stopping at the end of month...i heard formula triggers eczema even more...and i shouldn't stop breast feeding until atleast 6mths...is there any fact behind this that you know about?
supermom200
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:29 AM
I formula fed my girls and I don't think it had any effect on them, but I don't know of anyone who breast then bottle fed.
Quoting those2rmine:

my son has eczema on his face and the back of his head, and heat usually  makes it worse. i have never heard of a humidifier working for it.
I have a ? now that you bring eczema, I'm nursing and thinking about stopping at the end of month...i heard formula triggers eczema even more...and i shouldn't stop breast feeding until atleast 6mths...is there any fact behind this that you know about?
taurus715
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:34 AM
in the words of b2k....bump bump bump. i actually saw the humidifier thing on here thats why i am being so persistent.
deidremomof2
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:36 AM

I have never heard of using a humidifier, but my son has EXTREME eczema and we use baby aveeno lotion and shampoo its amazing! I make sure and put the lotion on within 3 minutes of being outta the shower and his skin looks much better. Hope this helps.

Mommy to Christian and Bella

Joselle
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Well, my 3 kids have eczema.  The humidifier/vaporizer is to help minimize or slow down the drying of the skin in the winter.  And you're supposed to put moisturizer on your child within 3 minutes of getting out of the bath.  Yes, ointments and petroleum jelly based moisturizers will hydrate the skin the most.  The heavy creams like Eucerin are second best, and most thinner lotions I don't even give my kids, because they have a larger amount of alcohol and can dry the skin or irritate it. 

Another thing that eczema is related to are allergies - food sensitivities, chemicals and fragrances, environment, pets, etc.  So we wash our clothes in "free" detergents, use Dove Sensitive which is fragrance and color free, with moisturizers.  Our pediatric dermatologist also recommended Cetaphil and some other less well known brands.  We also put a dust mite cover on one of my son's pillows because he's very sensitive to them on his face.

Also, another reason why your doctor suggested it is because eczema is sometimes related to asthma as well.  Asthma, allergies and eczema have very close ties.  So he might be just tagging that part on and not realizing it?  Because asthmatics fare better with less dry air.

preview photopreview image 

momw2boys1girl
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:40 AM
my 1 month old daughter has eczema and the only thing i use for it is eucerin cream. it works great.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)