Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

About a Homeless guy...

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this
Dh was grabbing something from the trunk of the car last night and this guy (who dh said seemed to have been looking in the dumpster) asked him for some bread. Dh just said no sorry (he said it was a knee jerk reaction). He got upstairs and was like omg that guy was just asking for food and I brushed him off. So we said lets get some sandwiches and stuff for him and catch him. I guess he was on a bike and gone but dh was committed to finding him. At 1am he cruised around the area in the car looking for this guy but couldn't. He stopped at the lightrail station and asked a guy sitting there if he had seen a guy on a bike. He said no, but asked if dh had anything to eat. Dh still wanted to find the first guy, but he knew he was long gone on his bike by now. So he gave the guy at the station the food.

He came home feeling awful and told me what happened. If he hadn't gone back out, the guy at the station would have gone hungry. But he wants to start (when we get our tax return) making lunches and going around at midnightish after the train stops and giving hungry people food. That and donating to food banks. Maybe even taking blankets/sleeping bags around. Idk.

I mean, we're broke, but these guys had nothing to eat. We have food to eat. It was 27 f last night and we were warm and comfy. It's all too easy to take what you have for granted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Due9
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

That is very kind of you both :) This makes me want to do the same where I live.

LOLOSMOMMY11
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

THATS A GOOD THING YOUR HUSBAND WANTS TO DO. I KNOW IM A LITTLE GREEDY WITH FOOD, BUT SHARING WITH OTHERS IS SOMETHING ALOT OF US SHOULD DO. I THINK EVERYONES FIRST INSTINCT IS TO SAY NO TO HOMELESS PPL. BUT I THINK WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING IS A GREAT THING.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I was just talking to my husband yesterday about how people take so much for granted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Another idea is to do Blessing Bags.  Of course the things you put in them can vary.  You can do all food, food and necessities, or just necessities.  You put it all in a one gallon bag and just keep it in the car for situations like yours.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

0Kit0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Very nice of you guys.
Ciaodarlings
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM
That's really considerate of you guys. :-)
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh we will DEFINITELY do this. But we'll add a gift card to mcdonalds/taco bell/jack in the box too since we don't see many homeless people around on our travels. These places are open really late walk in so they can get some food. Ooooh now I'm excited to do this. Thank you for the idea!

Quoting jillbailey26:

Another idea is to do Blessing Bags.  Of course the things you put in them can vary.  You can do all food, food and necessities, or just necessities.  You put it all in a one gallon bag and just keep it in the car for situations like yours.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

what a beautiful idea you rockBe safe out there.

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You're welcome.  You can put anything you want in them.  You can even do kid ones, in case you come across some kids that may need it.  The link just gives you the idea of what to do.  

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Oh we will DEFINITELY do this. But we'll add a gift card to mcdonalds/taco bell/jack in the box too since we don't see many homeless people around on our travels. These places are open really late walk in so they can get some food. Ooooh now I'm excited to do this. Thank you for the idea!

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

When I see people on the corner with signs wanting to work for food. I had them food, not money. I have even given one man dog food for his dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)