Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Booster Seat and Taxis.

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

I was in another group and it provoked a question.

If you don't own a vehicle and rely on public transportation to get somewhere and have to take a taxi one day, do you carry a carseat with you or something?

I called my city's 311 service and they said it's not against the law for a child to ride in a taxi cab without a carseat or booster, but everytime I travel in a taxi (I often do, maybe 1 or 2 a week) I always cringe at the thought of getting into an accident. So this week, I'm buying one of those booster seats without the back. It would be small enough to carry around to the grocery store and leave at my daycare.

Would you do this? It's not necessary or required by law here, but how do you solve something like this? A taxi is still a vehicle. The only time my son is not in a booster is when we take the bus to daycare or to the store.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I also occasionally use public trans. (live in NY) and never carried a carseat or booster seat with me. Hard enough getting around with strollers, kids, bags, etc. 

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I would buy a racer seat. My dd has one and it's easy to move around. When we go on our church bus we bring it along. Better to be safe than sorry. And it's pretty sad that we can get fined for not having kids in safety seats but taxis and buses arent.

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Check out the GoHybrid combination seat.  It is a 5 pt harness that converts to a HBB, EXTREMELY lightweight, folds up into a small knapsack that kiddos can easily cary.  We've used them in cabs before, no way do my kids go in a car without carseats. 

Mocking.Jay
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Seriously??? Where the heck can I get one? I was just gonna go to Walmart on Friday and buy one of those boosters without the back. They're used for 40lbs (my DS is 53 lbs) to about 70 or 80. 

I always freak out at the driver when he speeds up. I don't care if it costs me $20 to get home from a store that is only a 3-4 min drive. I always feel guilty when we get in a cab without a carseat.

Quoting RobinBright:

Check out the GoHybrid combination seat.  It is a 5 pt harness that converts to a HBB, EXTREMELY lightweight, folds up into a small knapsack that kiddos can easily cary.  We've used them in cabs before, no way do my kids go in a car without carseats. 

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:22 AM
I bought them in amazon but I'm pretty sure toys r us carries them.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Seriously??? Where the heck can I get one? I was just gonna go to Walmart on Friday and buy one of those boosters without the back. They're used for 40lbs (my DS is 53 lbs) to about 70 or 80. 

I always freak out at the driver when he speeds up. I don't care if it costs me $20 to get home from a store that is only a 3-4 min drive. I always feel guilty when we get in a cab without a carseat.

Quoting RobinBright:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:25 AM
We have one local taxi company who carries car seat (RF & FF ones) along with booster seats.
The owner of the company buys them all brand new and replaces them every few years. He also keeps updated on recalls, regulations, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
How old and big is your son?
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I would get a Bubble Bum if your child is booster age.
MamaPeanut
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Check out the Bubble Bum!!!

Target carries it, and it is an inflatable
No-back booster seat. Around $20, and you can deflate it to put in your purse, plus it is Very safe and has great ratings!!
Mocking.Jay
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I'm Canadian guys lol. But our first target is supposed to open in August!!! Squeeeeeee!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN