Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cheer Mom

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am a competitive cheer mom and have been for the past 3 years. My daughter was 4 when she started and dd#3 was 5 when she started. Practice is tough for my now 8 year old... Coaches scream and yell and aim for perfection but my girls love it. Being a competitive cheer mom for me is alot like the show cheer perfection minus the cheer mom drama. Ask me anything, I'd love to make the time pass.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nickysmom71
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM
3 moms liked this

ummmmm.....I got nothing....I really can't stand moms like you and the ones who put their kids in pagents....sorry.

sparkle_monkey
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM
What do cheer moms and pageant moms have in common? Cheer is a sport, it requires a ton of athletic ability to do backhand springs and tucks.

Quoting nickysmom71:

ummmmm.....I got nothing....I really can't stand moms like you and the ones who put their kids in pagents....sorry.

nickysmom71
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I understand that....but cheer, to me, is almost in the same leauge .  Later on in Junior High and High school if they WANT to do it...cool...but to put them in when they are really young like that is not cool to me.   Annnndddd the moms act worse than the kids...mostly.....it's laughable.

This is my opinion and while you may or may not like it....Oh well. 

Quoting sparkle_monkey:

What do cheer moms and pageant moms have in common? Cheer is a sport, it requires a ton of athletic ability to do backhand springs and tucks.

Quoting nickysmom71:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

How has being involved with such a tough sport benefited dd?  This is a valid question since dd sometimes wants to do cheer but I do not think she has the skills or coordination for it.

sparkle_monkey
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Cheer is a team sport. One person can bring down the whole stunt. It has taught my daughter incredible team work as well as helped us direct her energy in a positive, constructive way.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How has being involved with such a tough sport benefited dd?  This is a valid question since dd sometimes wants to do cheer but I do not think she has the skills or coordination for it.

sparkle_monkey
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
You are entitled to your opinion but our squad has supportive parents who all get along. My daughter wanted to do cheer (my oldest) and hated it, I pulled her out, dd 2 wanted to and loves it, dd 3 loves it, and dd 4 has yet to express interest in the sport. My kids want to be in it and can get out whenever they want. It's very expensive and I would never pay for a child to be in cheer if they had no interest.

Quoting nickysmom71:

I understand that....but cheer, to me, is almost in the same leauge .  Later on in Junior High and High school if they WANT to do it...cool...but to put them in when they are really young like that is not cool to me.   Annnndddd the moms act worse than the kids...mostly.....it's laughable.

This is my opinion and while you may or may not like it....Oh well. 

Quoting sparkle_monkey:

Quoting nickysmom71:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

She is 6 and very high energy.  Not a good listener so i would be afraid she would be the member to bring the whole team down

Quoting sparkle_monkey:

Cheer is a team sport. One person can bring down the whole stunt. It has taught my daughter incredible team work as well as helped us direct her energy in a positive, constructive way.

Quoting frndlyfn:

CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM
My 3 1/2 year old wants to "dance" she says. Im looking into putting her in either ballet or competitive cheer around 4/5. I however will NOT ALLOW any coach to be mentally abusive by yelling at my daughter. Im friends with the local dance/cheer acadamy and she does not alliw instructors to do so, fired on the spot if it happens.

Its been proven to cause severe self esteem issues later on down the road, how can you allow people to speak to your child in that manner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I used to be a competitive cheerleader. Its tough as you get older, but memories will last forever of getting on that stage and taking home 1st place aftet 1st place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparkle_monkey
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM
That was my Emma, but she learned how the team depended on her to follow instructions. Choreography camp was kicked off with a speech about how being a good listener made you a good team player. It's made the world of difference for us. We do all star but you may want to look into a rec team which still competes but is more recreational that competitive if you want to get your feet in before diving in.

Quoting frndlyfn:

She is 6 and very high energy.  Not a good listener so i would be afraid she would be the member to bring the whole team down

Quoting sparkle_monkey:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)