Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Restaurant highchairs

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
Aren't restaurants wait persons supposed to clean high chairs after use? I went out to eat today and the high chair they gave me to use was FILTHY!!! It had food stuck all over it and it was sticky. The seat belt was only half there, too.

What can I do, besides bringing one of those covers everywhere, to get people to clean the high chairs at least one a week? Isn't that violating a health code or something?
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Tell them that you want a new chair and someone needs to clean this one.

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

Thanks. That's a good idea! I guess I'm just so used to dirty chairs that I don't even think about asking for a different one.
I'm surprised they can't feel the nastiness when they pick it up and bring it to us.
r_luvli
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I manage at a restaurant. Dirty highchairs are absolutely unacceptable to me. I stay on servers, to make sure they are wiped down after every use and detail cleaned weekly.
Request a clean highchair. If they can't / won't provide one, along with sincerely apologizing for their lapse, I would leave.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Thanks. That's a good idea! I guess I'm just so used to dirty chairs that I don't even think about asking for a different one.
I'm surprised they can't feel the nastiness when they pick it up and bring it to us.

Your welcome.  I have worked in restaurants and the wood ones in particular are a B to clean but i still got them clean.  The plastic ones can be taken to kitchen to hose down.

Bax
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

It was years ago, but I waitressed my way through college. I can count on one hand the number of times we disinfected those things.  This was before I had kids.  After I had kids we brought our own hook on seat for our kids.  It probably is a health code violation but when you make $2.14 an hour plus tips, highchair cleanliness is not a top priority.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I ask for a new high chair. If they can not provide a clean one I will not eat there. I wouldn't want to eat the food at an obviously dirty restaurant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting r_luvli:

I manage at a restaurant. Dirty highchairs are absolutely unacceptable to me. I stay on servers, to make sure they are wiped down after every use and detail cleaned weekly.
Request a clean highchair. If they can't / won't provide one, along with sincerely apologizing for their lapse, I would leave.

That's great advice! And good for you to keep those things clean. Little kids need a clean place to sit just like anyone else.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Quoting Bax:

It was years ago, but I waitressed my way through college. I can count on one hand the number of times we disinfected those things.  This was before I had kids.  After I had kids we brought our own hook on seat for our kids.  It probably is a health code violation but when you make $2.14 an hour plus tips, highchair cleanliness is not a top priority.

That's a great idea! Where can you get one of those at? Are they pretty sturdy and easy to transport and set up?
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

This was one of those nasty wood ones. I have only used a plastic one once and it wasn't too bad. The wood ones are usually wiggly and wobbly.
Bax
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Very easy to use and store.  We kept ours in the car so we always had it if we stopped to eat somewhere. Kept a pack of clorox wipes with them.  Cost about $20 on Amazon.  (Regalo Easy Diner Portable High Chair) we had one similar to this one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)