Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

5 year olds... too young for a Nintendo DSi? **Edit

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 60 Replies

Poll

Question: Is a 5 year old too young to have a DSi of his/her own?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 100

View Results

Do you think a 5 year old would be too young to be able to keep up with a Nintendo DSi or DSiXL and games and accessories?  The game system is $100 (DSi) or $129 (DSiXL) and the games are $15-35 a piece.  I know it probably depends on how responsible the child is, but in general what is your opinion?  Would you get your 5 year old a DSi?  Would they be able to take care of it and not lose the game system or the games/accessories?

**I just want to thank everyone for the replies. 

DH got SD a DSiXL for Christmas.  She has a total of 5 games to go with it.  We also got her a Nerf case for it so it does have protection against damage.  So far she's done okay with it.  The day after Christmas she lost the large stylus (I found it in the car in between the seats a week later).  She has misplaced the charger and a few games but always finds everything if she really looks for them.  She doesn't play it very often... maybe 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes at a time.  Before we got it I didn't think it was the best of ideas but DH insisted she'd be fine with it.  Some friends of ours seem to think she's too young.  I just wanted to see what others had to say about it. 

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARClay
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Bump
christina0607
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I think 5 to 9 is probably the target range...so no not too young.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM
We would consider one for next year for our oldest who will be six. We really felt he wasn't ready quite yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM
i gave my ds one when he was 3. The dog broke it and he has another one. He does really well with it and he is 6 today. I got mine used from fb. I ordered 4 games for twenty bucks on black friday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not buy one for a child that young.  Our (almost) 5 year old has a LeapPad, and she has to come ask for it in order to play.  It is not kept anywhere that she can get to by herself and she is limited to how often and how long she can play it for.

Ang9403
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
My son got his first at 5.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Refurbished
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Kids that play games at this age have better hand/eye coordination and reaction time.  They make better pilots and surgeons as adults.

achapman
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I got my youngest stepson one when he was five almost six the only thing he had a problem with was keeping track of the charger and the cases for the games.

CafeMom Tickers
GiggleBellies
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

no my 5yr old has one and so does my 8yr old

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM
My 3 year old and 6 year old each have a 3ds. My 6 year old got a dsi when she was 3. We have a certain place that the games go. I have never had a problem with them loosing a game or damaging the system. My daughters dsi was in great condition when we traded it in for her 3ds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)