Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

help! dog in labor? Need to go to the vet? piog

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 24 Replies

About a month ago my parents noticed their female dog was getting fat.  Turned out she was knocked up.  Not a big deal, they hoped one day she would be.  Anyway, this morning she began to go into labor but she hasn't had the babies yet.  How long does a dog take to give birth?  They tired to take her to the vet for a prenatal appointment and the vet said they don't do that for dogs (lol) and things will progress naturally.  

So, what are warning signs and such?  Or is this all day thing normal? 

Oh the dog is a pugamo (sp?) and the father is a pug.

You know you want it

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM

BUMP!

betsyabel
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM

My dog had pups last year and started labor in the morning, her first pup wasn't born until that night about 11pm.  You could always call a vet to ask.

KMAsMommy9182
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I think it can go on for a long time.  You should be able to call a vet and at least ask. 

CJsMommy622
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I have no idea so here's a bump... but I'd suggest they talk to the vet asap and get as much info about helping deliver & what to expect if they're expecting to have puppies soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My dog started acting really strange when she went into labor, she kept trying to hide. I led her to the bed we prepared for her and she delivered her first pup a half hour later. Just keep an eye on the pups after they come out, the mom wil l tear the sack off of them and clean them a bit, help her if she doesn't. Otherwise she should be able to deliver without vet help. Our dog delivered 7 pups like a champ! She was lab/golden mix
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pugsmuggler
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
It can take awhile. Let things progress naturally, she will let on if anything is wrong. Make sure she has a comfortable, cave like spot to snuggle down in for labor/birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Oh and she went into labor around 8:00pm and delivered her last pup well after midnight. We actually thought she was done and went to bed and we woke up in the morning to find another pup lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM
3 moms liked this

she should be fine, just do the breathing excercises with her and encourage her and give her ice chips :-) lol

.betty.white.
by bilf on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

lmfao!

Quoting D.O.E.:

she should be fine, just do the breathing excercises with her and encourage her and give her ice chips :-) lol

You know you want it

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

and she may need some coaching when it comes time to push. have you asked her if she wants an epidural yet? **giggles**

Quoting .betty.white.:

lmfao!

Quoting D.O.E.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)