Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

help! dog in labor? Need to go to the vet? piog

Posted by   + Show Post

About a month ago my parents noticed their female dog was getting fat.  Turned out she was knocked up.  Not a big deal, they hoped one day she would be.  Anyway, this morning she began to go into labor but she hasn't had the babies yet.  How long does a dog take to give birth?  They tired to take her to the vet for a prenatal appointment and the vet said they don't do that for dogs (lol) and things will progress naturally.  

So, what are warning signs and such?  Or is this all day thing normal? 

Oh the dog is a pugamo (sp?) and the father is a pug.

You know you want it

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
ZakkarysMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Aww how exciting! The only pet i have had that had babies was a hamster. lol And she ate one of them. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2alissa
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

A) she should have been spayed to avoid this....B) it will happen on its own, hopefully..... C) it can take a while, give her a quiet undisturbed place to rest and let nature do its thing. If she has not had them by today though, get her to a vet. The puppies can get stuck or one could be turned wrong or be too big. 

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

you will know my female chihuahua just had babies on jan 1 st and she was looking for a place to lay to have her babys 

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

this is how  my female chihuahua did too

Quoting Tooth_Inspector:

My dog started acting really strange when she went into labor, she kept trying to hide. I led her to the bed we prepared for her and she delivered her first pup a half hour later. Just keep an eye on the pups after they come out, the mom wil l tear the sack off of them and clean them a bit, help her if she doesn't. Otherwise she should be able to deliver without vet help. Our dog delivered 7 pups like a champ! She was lab/golden mix

HouseMa
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Yay more backyard bred pups by people who don't know what they are doing.

If she's been struggling or no pups have been born since she's gone into labour and it's been more than two hours, then get the poor dog to the vet.  Hopefully the pups are still alive and your parents' dog doesn't die.

Then, fix her.

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Our dog went in to labor in the morning, had her first pup about 1. Finished up around 11 at night. We woke up and she pushed the last one out, sadly it was not alive. What breed is mom?
HouseMa
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

A pugamo..translated a mixed bred mutt.

Pugs have notoriously hard labours and births.  Very often they aren't able to have the pups on their own and need a C-Section. 

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Our dog went in to labor in the morning, had her first pup about 1. Finished up around 11 at night. We woke up and she pushed the last one out, sadly it was not alive. What breed is mom?

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I know that! She said dad was the pug. If she had said mom was the pug I would say VET no matter what. But I don't know what breed mom is.

Quoting HouseMa:

A pugamo..translated a mixed bred mutt.

Pugs have notoriously hard labours and births.  Very often they aren't able to have the pups on their own and need a C-Section. 

Quoting barrelracer1699:

GypsiSky
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Hope everything will well for her and her puppies. Any update?

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Pugamo=American Eskimo Dog and a pug...

If the dad is the pug, how in the hell did this happened?  American Eskimo dogs aren't small. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN