Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Needs to be in his own bed....

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am having issues with my 7 year old. I can NOT get him to sleep in his own bed. I feel it's partly my fault, because I worked nights before I have the job I do now, my dad obviously babysat for me and I allowed my dad to take my older son to bed with him(baby was in the crib in my room). I finally put my food down and said he is getting to old and NEEDS to start sleeping in his own bed. He will stay up and cry and cry and cry (and he does not cry himself to sleep). He will get up in the middle of the night and go get in bed with my dad. (We moved back to my dad's house in late 2010 to help him out while he was going through a divorce with my mom.) Due to a couple of finanacial set-backs, we are still here until I get my own house. (Should be spring time so YAY) So anyways, I have taken his PS3 away, offered to buy him a new game after a week of sleeping in his own bed in his room. I told him if he goes back to not sleeping in his room, the new game and playstation will go bye bye again. I have never had this problem with him. He has always slept in his own room. Even when we lived here before I moved out. He does have a night light in there, but I don't know what else to do. TV goes off everynight at 8:30. He is obsessed with his PS so I find it exhausting that he doesn't even care that he lost his playstation. I've offered a trip to Chuck E Cheese, letting him pick a theme for his room, along with the color of paint, still doesn't work. His reasoning is he just doesn't want to sleep by himself. I need ideas please! 

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kappalopokis
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I am more old school. Let him cry as many nights in a row as it takes. He's seven! Too old for that crap. You don't reason or bargain with him. You tell him how it goes. He will get over it eventually and go to bed in his room like he's supposed to. Until then, I guess he just has to be sleepy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CamoMama0510
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I tried just making him stay in his room, the minute I go to bed he is up. It got to the point where his teacher is saying he is sleepy in class. Obviously due to him staying up fighting with me on this issue. It's bed time now... so here goes round 759375932794327 =)

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

maybe sit with him in the room until he falls a sleep like sit in the room and every night get closer to the door    they make pillows that have lights in them

Bax
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I take a different approach, I don't reward or discipline for stuff like this. My theory is, certain things in life you do, end of story.  He is 7. He sleeps in his own bed.  If he cries, he cries.  If he gets up and gets into bed with you, walk him back.  If your dad doesn't agree with walking him back then grandpop's door is locked so its not an issue.  Every time he gets up, he gets walked back.  You are gonna have some sleepless nights ahead but again, he's 7, too old for this, this is toddler behavior.

tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting Bax:

I take a different approach, I don't reward or discipline for stuff like this. My theory is, certain things in life you do, end of story.  He is 7. He sleeps in his own bed.  If he cries, he cries.  If he gets up and gets into bed with you, walk him back.  If your dad doesn't agree with walking him back then grandpop's door is locked so its not an issue.  Every time he gets up, he gets walked back.  You are gonna have some sleepless nights ahead but again, he's 7, too old for this, this is toddler behavior.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I will offer another point of veiw. Since i see you already got a lot of different views. 

When my DD was sleeping with me, we tried her own bed at about 5. it wasnt easy. and we BOTH hated it. 

so we 'took the easy way out' as some would call it, and just contined to co sleep. 

the next year when she was 6, she moved into her own bed on her own, by her own choice. and it was MUCH easier. 

if he isnt ready, in my opinion, i wouldnt force it. 

BUT. I am also not a die hard 'do it my way' kind of mom. because he IS 7. and if you tell him to do something, he absolutely needs to DO IT. no iffs ands or buts. he knows better. 

allsolittle
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Hell no.that's what you do with infants. He's 7....

Quoting ilovemyson2002:

maybe sit with him in the room until he falls a sleep like sit in the room and every night get closer to the door    they make pillows that have lights in them

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
What harm is it going to cause him to sleep with someone? If he had a sibling around the same age, he would probably do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with it. Kids all over the world do it and they grow up very healthy and sometimes more well adjusted than those that are forced to sleep by themselves.
If your going to be moving in a few months, I would just let him stay the way it is for now. When you move, then you can have him sleep in his own room again.
chelley123
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM

My son was bad for getting in my bed after i fell asleep, he was so sneaky too, I often wouldn't realize it till the morning. I finally had to lock my door to keep him out. It will take time and persistence but he WILL eventually give upo and sleep on his own.

pce68
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If your dad doesn't mind him in the room, just let it be. He will decide in time that he wants his own space.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)