Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Video games, maturity, and being unreasonable?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 21 Replies

My step son who is 11 plays a lot of video games.  It bothers me. I think he plays them too much and if he's not playing the XBOX he's playing on his phone.  We only have them (hi & his sister) every other weekend and I can only imagine how much he plays at his Mom's.

This morning I came out and he was playing a game where he shot open a tiger cage, killed the tiger with a gun, and then proceded to slaughter it with a knife. I was appauled. I wanted to turn off the game right there. And when I said something about it I was told I was overreacting and being negative. This reaction harsher than it should have been because I've been in a rather negative space when the kids are over.

Am I just so old fashioned and out of line? He just bought this game with his Christmas money and I wonder if my husband had any clue there would be so much violence and swearing. And why on earth is he OK with it. Does anyone else have this problem? Wondering what the new generation has come to by way of video games, iPhone, and the like? Maybe your husband plays these games himself or with his kids? I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I am pretty laid back about video games however, I don't believe in an 11yr old having a cell phone.  In my house the rule is not till HS.  As my kids are never without adult supervision before then so they have no need. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I do not like those games either for this age.  Sure an adult can play it since they (hopefully) can tell it is all fake/fantasy but i think 11 yr olds are more susceptible to believing it is real and becoming desensitized to violence in real life.

SnowMom1513
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM
The cel phone was purchased by his mother whom they are with full time. Not a lot we can do about that one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SnowMom1513
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM
People keep telling me that video games can be good for kids. Show me a video game that an 11 year old would play that doesn't involve violence! Apparently they help with eye hand coordination. But again, I don't see that it outweighs the violent nature of most video games. What happen to playing outside? Uhhhg!
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I don't think you're out of line.  My oldest is 9.  He only gets to play once a week for an hour (if he's earned it).  My middle son is 8 and it's the same with him.  They don't play overly violent games.  Neither one of them will have a phone before middle school.  Even then, they may not get one.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Bknotnobody
by Sadie on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I think you're out of line.

His parents are ok with it.

You don't have to like it and if its affecting the kids that do live with you then I could see it being an issue until then I'm with the bio parents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rlmama00
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM

My ds would play all day, every day, if he he had permission. I limit his time to about an hour or two each weekday, a little more if he's on break. He has Xbox live and is able to play and talk with family and friends both here on the west coast and back east. That is one of the reasons that I allow so much daily time. He's only allowed to play if his homework is complete and his morning responsibilities are taken care of. It's usually the first thing to be taken away if he gets into trouble.

inspain
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM

If you wanted to turn the game off, right then and there, why didn't you?  I wouldn't have hesitated.  It sounds like a really violent game and something I wouldn't want any child watching or participating in.  

I would not have allowed my 11 year old child to purchase the game, I don't give a rat's ass whose money they're using.  You're not old-fashioned, you have sense.  This is a terribly violent society and, while I don't believe that games like this make people violent, I do believe they encourage and support a violent culture and mindset.  

My husband does not play these kinds of games and would NEVER approve of them for our children.  

You are not being unreasonable.  In fact, it sounds as if you might be the only reasonable person in your house.

If I were you, I'd ban those games from my home and either trade in or trash the violent games he has now.  Really, who's running the show in your house?

piwife
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Well it is your house.. so if you don't like them set rules. But how does your husband feel? After all it is his child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southerngirl106
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM
My son is 12 and HEll no be would not be playing that game I would have broken it in half. And my son finds plenty of nonviolent games too play so they are out there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)