Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I don't think my kids are safe at daycare

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have never used a daycare of any type before and now I have to. In my town there are only two options and I chose the best one, but I feel like anyone could walk in and hurt or steal the kids. There is nearly no security. After the school shooting and all, I'm just not at ease. My town is small at 1200 ppl and 65 students were pulled out to homeschool after the shooting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM
The daycare my kids went to for the longest time didn't have any security. But, it was on a secluded street and as soon as you pulled in, the staff knew you were there. It was a small population daycare on 14 beautiful acres. Never felt unsafe there.

That said, DD went to kindergarten for 1/2 day and to a daycare for the other 1/2. They bhad a security code on the door but if another adult came in behind you, you wold hold the door assuming that person had a kid there. You could've easily let in a killer and wouldn't know it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Then dont put them in there

dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM
What types of security are you talking about? Armed guards? Mine had procedures they had to follow but no actual security.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Phucket
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM
There are no other daycares unless I go a few towns over and I won't make it there in time making me late to where I need to be. There's no codes. You walk in, there's sometimes someone there to greet u, then walk down the hall to drop ur kid off at their room. Sign them in/out but that's it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Maybe you could find a nanny or babysitter to come to your home instead.

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I loved the daycare dd went to I really end like the owner and I loved both her teachers. Her infant room one became my neighbor when we bought our house and her toddler one I had and still am friends with her since high school Try to relax and get to know them. After that I'd u still feel the same way u either need to change daycares of stay at home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Quoting Phucket:

There are no other daycares unless I go a few towns over and I won't make it there in time making me late to where I need to be. There's no codes. You walk in, there's sometimes someone there to greet u, then walk down the hall to drop ur kid off at their room. Sign them in/out but that's it.

I work at a daycare on base similar to the one you described. You walk in, sign the child in/out at the front desk with a key fob, go to the room, sign child in/out, and leave. 

BUT.. the staff are trained to make sure the children leave with someone authorized to pick them up. Idk if thats how it works at your daycare or not. If someone is picking up little Sally & we've never seen this person before, we ask for I.D. No I.D.? Then the child cannot leave with you. It doesn't matter what your relation is. Unless you can present I.D. or another staff member can verify that you are in fact Sally's mom/dad/aunt/uncle/ect., you cannot leave with the child. Also, anyone other than the parents have to be on the contact sheet that each child has. If said person isn't on the contact sheet, you cannot pick up, even if you have I.D. KWIM? 

So even tho it may not look all that secure, we do have procedures in place to make sure some regular Joe off the street doesn't walk out with your child. 

chelley123
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Not a personal attack, but for pete's sake we can't all live in fear and hide away for our whole lives. My child is in a in home daycare where the front door is not locked and I prefer it that way. I'd worry if my child was locked away , would make me think there was something being hidden

Gooberzilla
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM

My daughter's preschool doesn't have security but all the teachers know the parents.  If someone showed up and wanted to pick up my child they couldn't get her-the teachers wouldn't let her go to anyone not on a list (right now no one is on the list because we don't have anyone nearby who would pick her up).  

pinkschoolhouse
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I'm sorry you are apprehensive, and rightfully so. I don't envy you having to leave your children there. I'm assuming your parents don't live near by?  Do you know someone at the school that told you the info about the 65 kids being removed to be homeschooled?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)