Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Painting concrete floors! HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

We just bought a house and the carpet has got to go! We don't have the money to replace it, or put down any hardwood, laminate, ect,. So, I've heard that painting is the way to go! I'm looking for websites, tips, tricks, or experiences anyone has had doing this! What products should I use? What steps should I take? One color or do like a stain process? Any help would be appreciates!! Thanks 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

you can buy some flooring for inexpensive that looks like hardwood but isnt

i wouldnt keep just a concrete floor

KoJA2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

it wont be just concrete.. it will be painted lol

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Painted or not, it will feel like concrete and when so one falls it will hurt bad

Quoting KoJA2:

it wont be just concrete.. it will be painted lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KoJA2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

That is true.. What is the cheapest to do... laminate hardwood, linolium or what?

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Laminate hardwood would hive you the most bang for your buck and will last longer

Quoting KoJA2:

That is true.. What is the cheapest to do... laminate hardwood, linolium or what?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

It'll be cold,and chances are that when you pull up the carpet you will find that the concrete does not look too nice.You'll have holes where you pull the tack strip up,there could possibly be small cracks running throughout.You can find some lamninate for under a dollar.May not be the best but would be a better option that the concrete.

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

The acid stain can look pretty.

We installed the vinyl wood planks in our basement. 

marshsmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My in laws have concrete floors and they are wonderful.  Easy to clean and maintain and falling on them was no worse for my son than the tiled floors in our house. 

OP, you want to make sure the concrete is even under the carpet, it may need to be smoothed.  If it's already smooth, I would stain it and then seal it.  You can also have someone come and engrave designs in the floor.

umm.yeah
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Doing a good paint job will likely cost as much if not more than getting lino or vinyl or even a cheap laminate.  We used an epoxy paint in our basement and it does look nice and will be very durable but it was more than simply getting a can of paint and a few rollers.  (and it took several days to fully cure so it could not be walked on during that time.)

KoJA2
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I appreciate everyone's input! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)