Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letting you kids share

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: How would you handle this?

Options:

let them play with whatever they want

put up toys or make certain toys off limits

make them play in the living room where I can watch them every second

don't let them play inside make them play out back, they can't break the swing set

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

So I raised my dds (8 and 6) to share pretty much everything that isn't a personal hygiene item. However the kids that live across the street are not very gentile with their toys. My dd don't tattle or tell me but they never (okay extremely rarely) break toys and I know my 6 year old is positively anal about how she cares for her things. Well stuff is breaking and has been breaking for a while now. snow globes, monster high dolls, games (broken and missing pieces) pretty much something every time. SO went in the room the other day while they were playing and took some of the toys away. Apparently, he heard my 6 year old asking the neighbor kid (8) to be more gentle with her things and it was escalating into a fight. He thinks that they shouldn't be allowed to play with breakable things I feel like that seems pretty cold. We like buying our kids nice things and they deserve them because they take really good care of them. According to my older dd, nobody likes my 6 year old because she tell them how to use her stuff (I'm not surprise and I've noticed that she's the odd kid out.) When I asked my 8 year old what she said when they were playing roughly with things she said she didn't say anything but that she didn't like it. 

What do I do and how do I do anything with out been a jerk?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell the neighbor kids that they can't play inside anymore because toys keep breaking and are being ruined. There is nothing wrong with setting boundaries to protect your property.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

tel them if they cant play correcty with things then they can t play with them at all. but im like that with my own chidren as well who are just naturally rough ,loud, children lol .Wouldnt have them any other way though lol.

Maevelyn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM

that's my rule and I also don't replace toys that are broken bc of being rough with them (which is why my kids don't break things) but I can't really punish them bc their friends don't take care of things. At least not at their age can I?

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

tel them if they cant play correcty with things then they can t play with them at all. but im like that with my own chidren as well who are just naturally rough ,loud, children lol .Wouldnt have them any other way though lol.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

that when you warn the other kids once an if it gets broke you tell thier parents it needs repalced. ive never had an issue with these rules lol.

Ive had two incidents where some one elses chid broke something they either replaced it or payed for half of it.

Quoting Maevelyn:

that's my rule and I also don't replace toys that are broken bc of being rough with them (which is why my kids don't break things) but I can't really punish them bc their friends don't take care of things. At least not at their age can I?

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I would put away the toys that are special or fragile. There's no reason that the neighbor kids should expect to play with every toy your kids' have. My friend went through this exact thing with her neighbors and she was so happy when she finally hid certain toys.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

My kids are very spoiled....they have ALOT of things. they also care very well for the things they have. If we had the same problem, I would suggest that my children put up the items they didnt want broken. If it continued and my children felt "dominated" by the neighbor kids, then those neighbor kids wouldnt be over to play anymore (and I would replace the toy). I dont expect my kids to be able to control the actions of othrs but I can help them out by limiting my kids contact with disrespectful friends.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM

i like the off limits and play outisde ones

christina0607
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I would send them outside to play.

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM

honestly I would tell them they can't play there anymnore since they keep breaking stuff.

Maevelyn
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

we just got back from vacation and the neighbor kids were are our door before we even closed it. They are playing outside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)