Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What can I expect having a one year old, a newborn and 11 year old?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

This will be my life in just 6 short weeks. I will have a one year old, newborn and 11 year old son. I am nervous and excited all in one. The thing I am most worried about is SLEEP. I know it will be hard in the beginning, but  I am hoping things will adjust quickly. Anyone have any tips?

juggling

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Ask for help! Don't try to do it all on your own. Make some frozen meals that DH or DS can pop in the oven.

Make a list of chores that visitors can do. Cost of seeing baby and you, chore or meal!

Put together a bag a things that the 1 yr old can play with while you nurse or have your hands full.

Learn about babywearing!

Take it one day at a time and remember it will get easier :D

Congrats!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thanks so much! great tips!

Quoting hriabywx4:

Ask for help! Don't try to do it all on your own. Make some frozen meals that DH or DS can pop in the oven.

Make a list of chores that visitors can do. Cost of seeing baby and you, chore or meal!

Put together a bag a things that the 1 yr old can play with while you nurse or have your hands full.

Learn about babywearing!

Take it one day at a time and remember it will get easier :D

Congrats!

juggling

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Turn your life into an assembly line.  Diaper changes....dressing the kids in the morning....bedtime (for the younger two)......meals (for the younger two).....bath times.  Also get on a schedule right away and stick to it!  It is easy to get a newborn on a schedule...and maybe start now to get your toddler on a schedule so he/she is on one when the new baby arrives (assuming you aren't already on a schedule).

When my youngest was born I had a 1 year old (DS#2 was born on DS#1's first birthday), a 3.5 year old, an almost 7 year old and an almost 11 year old.  We had been on a schedule since the oldest was a toddler - when each of my babies came home, they were thrown into the family schedule which was always a life saver in my book (I saw so many parents try to 'wing it' and they were always stressed out...even if they only had one child). 

Congrats and good luck!

Due9
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I like this idea. I may even write out the schedule just to ease my mind.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Turn your life into an assembly line.  Diaper changes....dressing the kids in the morning....bedtime (for the younger two)......meals (for the younger two).....bath times.  Also get on a schedule right away and stick to it!  It is easy to get a newborn on a schedule...and maybe start now to get your toddler on a schedule so he/she is on one when the new baby arrives (assuming you aren't already on a schedule).

When my youngest was born I had a 1 year old (DS#2 was born on DS#1's first birthday), a 3.5 year old, an almost 7 year old and an almost 11 year old.  We had been on a schedule since the oldest was a toddler - when each of my babies came home, they were thrown into the family schedule which was always a life saver in my book (I saw so many parents try to 'wing it' and they were always stressed out...even if they only had one child). 

Congrats and good luck!

juggling

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Get a sling or wrap to wear the newborn. That way you have 2 free hands to help with the other kids and do housework too.
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I found the best place to start with a schedule is to start with your school-aged child's schedule.  Make sure the younger kids are up, dressed and fed at times that work around school drop off and pick up....even if your oldest takes the bus, there will likely be days where you have to take/pick up (missed busses, large school projects to take, etc).  That way when you DO need to be out at those times, you aren't messing with your own schedule.

Next....leave space for naps at 'proper' times...enough time in the reminding for a nap after breakfast but before lunch...leaving enough time for an afternoon nap that fits around the school schedule, etc.  In the evening - leave yourself a space for preparing dinner and helping with homework....you can help with homework while feeding the younger kiddos....everyone can be in the kitchen or living room.

While the baby won't be sleeping through the nig right away....start the bedtime routine as early as possible so that it becomes a habit,  Do not hold the baby all the time until he/she falls asleep as this wil just set you up for more stress later -- of course a colicky baby or one with other issues will need to be held more....possibly even until asleep - but you have to play that by ear and don't just assume all babies need toe in your arms to fall asleep. :-)

Schedules are what has kept me sane over the years.  

Again....CONGRATS!

Quoting Due9:

I like this idea. I may even write out the schedule just to ease my mind.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Congrats and good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)