Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dining room in the front room of the house?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  • 9 Replies
Would this the weird? Out house is small upstairs. It's 1100 sq ft and a big rectangle. When you walk in the front door you are in a rectangular room that is about 11 X 13. Across from this room is a small dining area with a big clunky table in it and 6 chairs. There is a 2 ft walk space between the corner of the table and the first cabinet in the kitchen. Next to the table is the galley kitchen that is about 12 ft long and 8ft wide. To the left of the living room is my 2 dd's bedroom and to the right is a hall with a bathroom, ds room and my oldest dd's room.

Right by the kitchen there is a door that leads to our walkout basement. We have our master bedroom down there. The rest of the basement is a large family room with a wood stove and dh computer. There is a play area for the kids and a bathroom area. The only room that is finished is the bedroom but the rest besides the bathroom should be completed this summer.

We are thinking about moving our tv and large couch to the basement and move the dining table, china cabinet and stuff to the area that stuff used to be. So you would walk in the front door and immediately be in a dining room. The old dining area would have a large plush leather chair and a leather love seat with a small coffee table and side table. It would open up the space people need to walk through to get to the kitchen and maybe it would prevent people from banging into the table all the time?

Would it be weird to have a dining room as soon as you walk in? There is no foyer or divider to separate spaces and no room to put one in. The best I could do is put a skinny table as a divider but that might look weird. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
angelgrl5200
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM

this is what you see when you walk in my front door, lol, well theres more to the room you cant see, but our dining room is the first room in our house, i am standing right in our front door.

I thought its odd, but idk thats how the house is set up, no one has ever said anything though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Thanks! I guess I've never been in a house where the dining room is the first thing you see. There is always a foyer or hall or something. My mom told me not to do it because it would look weird. however Im getting really sick of banging my hips on the table and maneuvering around it with 4 kids trying to squeeze around me. We eat every meal at the table, do crafts and homework too. Cute doggy btw!

Quoting angelgrl5200:

this is what you see when you walk in my front door, lol, well theres more to the room you cant see, but our dining room is the first room in our house, i am standing right in our front door.

I thought its odd, but idk thats how the house is set up, no one has ever said anything though!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelgrl5200
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
just do it then, whatever is easy for you! which is exactly why my table is at an odd place, if you could see the whole room, it would look odd, but its just easier to get around the table this way!

Thanks! i think hes pretty cute too lol he is my baby! follows me everywhere i go!

Quoting norahsmommy:

Thanks! I guess I've never been in a house where the dining room is the first thing you see. There is always a foyer or hall or something. My mom told me not to do it because it would look weird. however Im getting really sick of banging my hips on the table and maneuvering around it with 4 kids trying to squeeze around me. We eat every meal at the table, do crafts and homework too. Cute doggy btw!

Quoting angelgrl5200:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Our house was this way when I was younger. It is fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Missy5326
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
When we bought our home just like yours we walk into the dining room it was originally the living room. The small space that was the dr noe has a flat screen, a love seat and a coffee and end tables in it. When working in the kitchen, I can watch tv or just sit their with the kids when their not in the family room or their own rooms. I love it and its easier to keep clean.
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I think if it is more practical for your family then does it really matter if it isn't a traditional layout? As long as your not making actual structural changes that will lower the value who cares. Try it and see how you like it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3boysmommaNY
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM
My house has n entry way, then you walk through the dining room to get to the living room. I think it's ok.. :)

Momma to 3 boys, and PROUD Army wife :) 
Loving life in New York! tattoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)