Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nick Names in school? Should I let my kid go by She-Ra??

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 48 Replies

Just kidding. I would never let my kid go by She-Ra at school.

I am curious though if you kid goes by a nickname or has 2 names do you let them choose what the kids call them? When sent my preschooler to school I asked if she wanted the kids to call her Annika or Niki. She honestly goes by both. She chose Niki. However she is learning to write Annika but all the kids and teachers call her Niki. SHe will go to a different preschool next year (for prek) and I'm thinking of just having her go by Annika. I kind of wonder if it would be too confusing later on. 

So if your kid has 2 names what do you do?

**Formerly Keegansmama05** Loving Mama to Keegz & Nikki**bouncing mom

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

At our school at least in Elementary school it is not optional they can not use nicknames they use the name on your birth certificate.  So if your name is Benjamin or Joseph they can't be called Ben or Joe. 

momof3grls4517
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM

My dd's have nicknames at home. My oldest dd name is Maribel ( she doesn't like it when people call her Marybell), so she has everyone call her Mari ( pronounced Maudi). My other daughter uses her full name Bridget at school since she doesn't like it to be cut up

. I would let her go by what is comfortable for her its her name and she knows what her full name is and what her nickname is.

Meli114
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

My dd is in 2nd grade, all of her teachers and classmates since pre-k have always called her Ali, but on all of her homework she has to put Alivia.  I let her choose what she wanted to be called at school.

DomesticDoll
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM
My daughters name is Briana ( Bree-on-ah) we call her Bri at home and her good friends call her Bri too. My Mariah goes by "Yaya" at home when my son was really little he couldn't say Mariah he called her "Yaya" and we'll the name stuck! We call her Yaya at home!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

My kids can choose what they want their friends to call them.....I never even asked them what they wanted to be called - when they meet a new person, they introduce themselves in whatever way they want.  Some teachers will ask if a child uses a nickname, others will just always use the child's given name - I follow each teacher's lead on that one....as do my kids.

vrbtnseele
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
My 21 month old goes by Izzy, her name is Izabella. At home shes alao Ella. Or if you ask her, Izzybella.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Well my first born is Asia so not a lot of nicknames

My second is Roman...we all call him Romie but he has never ever let anyone but family and family friends call him that. He insist on Roman

The baby is Aviendha (ah -vee -end -ah) and we call her Avi so I am guessing she will go by that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
waffa
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I like that b/c I am a stickler for people being called the name they were given.

My kids are Brandon and Melissa; each are always called by their given name (except Brandon does call Melissa 'smelly Mel' on occasion). I always correct people who call her Missy or Mel.

I never understood why a parent would name a child something just to call them something else. If you wanted to call your kid Ben or Joe, then why name them Benjamin or Joseph?

just don't get it, but that's just me.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

At our school at least in Elementary school it is not optional they can not use nicknames they use the name on your birth certificate.  So if your name is Benjamin or Joseph they can't be called Ben or Joe. 

LuvingMy3Girls
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Well my dd is Elizabeth. She goes by both Lizzy Liz and Elizabeth. Just depends on who it is. Her teachers have used a combination of all 3 since she started school ( she is 9 now) honestly I don't think I'd make the decision. If she wants people to call her the nm or given name it will happen naturally with each person
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uhura
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Nicknames just happen, often enough. 

I have a younger brother named Tiberius, he's quickly become known as Tiber. It suits him a heck of a lot better than the full Tiberius.

Quoting waffa:

I like that b/c I am a stickler for people being called the name they were given.

My kids are Brandon and Melissa; each are always called by their given name (except Brandon does call Melissa 'smelly Mel' on occasion). I always correct people who call her Missy or Mel.

I never understood why a parent would name a child something just to call them something else. If you wanted to call your kid Ben or Joe, then why name them Benjamin or Joseph?

just don't get it, but that's just me.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)