Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your kid playing a gay person???

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM
  • 73 Replies

How would you feel if your child was playing a lesbian in a school play?  My dd is playing the part of a gay teen in a school production. the play was written and directed by another student.  The play is about a girl that is coming out to her mother who is very homophobic.  The mother is also a very strict catholic and that's how she raised her children. However the main character is not only coming out about being gay but also telling her mother that she's an atheist.  The play also has a Priest who is obviously gay but dealing with his demons and projecting his issues onto the main character.. My dd is playing the girlfriend of the  main character.  I have not seen the play yet  I will be going to Saturdays show but I've watched my dd rehearse at home and I've read the script.  which i think its a great show even tho i was a bit surprised they not only allowed such material but that it was chosen by the teaching staff that wrote it.   The shows first performance was last night and its getting great reviews for the most part. One student even messaged the playwright and told her it made her mother re think her issues and she thanked her.  Its gotten a few parents upset.

i just saw the costume my dd had to wear for the show.  The character is suppose to love rainbows . Really not sure dh is going to love this costume. 

thought I would share

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM
3 moms liked this
I would be fine with it, as long as it didn't depict homosexuality in a bad way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I wouldn't care. I'm surprise the schools allowing this type of play. Ours were actually after real plays when I was in hs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Her school has regular plays as well but my dd is in an art school and she's a theatre major  so they do alot of shows every year.  This paticular show was written and directed by another student.  There were 6 plays chosen for this.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

I wouldn't care. I'm surprise the schools allowing this type of play. Ours were actually after real plays when I was in hs.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I would be completely fine with it since I see nothing wrong with being gay. 

mommy2alissa
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt care as long as the play was not bashing homosexuality 

TAG_ur_it
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM

i see no issue

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I'd be cool with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Oh ok. It I didn't realize that e wasn't at a regular hs. I could see parents freaking out over the play.

Quoting Msgme:

Her school has regular plays as well but my dd is in an art school and she's a theatre major  so they do alot of shows every year.  This paticular show was written and directed by another student.  There were 6 plays chosen for this.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

No...and there would be no involvement at all with the play either.

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM

i wouldnt care, id be supportive either way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN