Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your kid playing a gay person???

Posted by   + Show Post

How would you feel if your child was playing a lesbian in a school play?  My dd is playing the part of a gay teen in a school production. the play was written and directed by another student.  The play is about a girl that is coming out to her mother who is very homophobic.  The mother is also a very strict catholic and that's how she raised her children. However the main character is not only coming out about being gay but also telling her mother that she's an atheist.  The play also has a Priest who is obviously gay but dealing with his demons and projecting his issues onto the main character.. My dd is playing the girlfriend of the  main character.  I have not seen the play yet  I will be going to Saturdays show but I've watched my dd rehearse at home and I've read the script.  which i think its a great show even tho i was a bit surprised they not only allowed such material but that it was chosen by the teaching staff that wrote it.   The shows first performance was last night and its getting great reviews for the most part. One student even messaged the playwright and told her it made her mother re think her issues and she thanked her.  Its gotten a few parents upset.

i just saw the costume my dd had to wear for the show.  The character is suppose to love rainbows . Really not sure dh is going to love this costume. 

thought I would share

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
mama2beautiesnb
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM
ah high schoolers, no problem as they r old enough to understand whats going on and the weight of it. now if it were my kids now id say no way as theyre too young. my 6 yr old still gets confused when she sees homosexual couples. but if she was in hs and had more of a maturity then it would be completely up to her.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

depends on age.

My dd is 14  and a freshman in HS. Most of the cast were Juniors tho.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imultracool
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I wouldn't care. Sounds like its going to be good!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beauty91805
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM
If she was in high school then she would be old enough to make that decision for herself.
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I live in the south so I'd never have to deal with that. I'd probably be ok but I can't say for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WendyJR
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I would be fine with it.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I assume that your daughter is in high school? I agree with the first poster--as long as it wasn't depicting homosexuality in a derogatory manner I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Homosexuality is not objectionable subject matter any more than heterosexuality is. If it involved graphic sex, then that would be different, but I would have the same objection to a portrayal of graphic sex between heterosexuals in a high-school play.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be grateful for the opportunity it presents and that my child was going to a school that is obviously socially progressive.

momtoblueeyes
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Not that its important, but I'm sure there could be people offended by a play like that. Just as much if there were a play based on religious viewpoints. Just saying, sometimes I see the double standards in the school systems, or the country period.
Dvegas
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone above and would be ok with it. I think  this is an issue that needs to be addressed in order to educate those who are against it and are bullying those that are gay.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That wouldn't fly with my husband & i..... sorry and I'm not about to argue about this neither.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)