Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your kid playing a gay person???

Posted by   + Show Post

How would you feel if your child was playing a lesbian in a school play?  My dd is playing the part of a gay teen in a school production. the play was written and directed by another student.  The play is about a girl that is coming out to her mother who is very homophobic.  The mother is also a very strict catholic and that's how she raised her children. However the main character is not only coming out about being gay but also telling her mother that she's an atheist.  The play also has a Priest who is obviously gay but dealing with his demons and projecting his issues onto the main character.. My dd is playing the girlfriend of the  main character.  I have not seen the play yet  I will be going to Saturdays show but I've watched my dd rehearse at home and I've read the script.  which i think its a great show even tho i was a bit surprised they not only allowed such material but that it was chosen by the teaching staff that wrote it.   The shows first performance was last night and its getting great reviews for the most part. One student even messaged the playwright and told her it made her mother re think her issues and she thanked her.  Its gotten a few parents upset.

i just saw the costume my dd had to wear for the show.  The character is suppose to love rainbows . Really not sure dh is going to love this costume. 

thought I would share

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
Arwyn724
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Either of my girls would have been thrilled at the chance, as both of them have been involved in theater since they were little.  I have no problem with the subject matter, as long as it is not presented in an 'anti-gay' format.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM

just wanted to say love the avatar....

CarolinaGirl88
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that's some really heavy material for a school play. I would have loved to do something like that when I was in high school, regardless of the part. As for if my daughter were playing a gay teen I don't think I'd personally have a problem with it. I wouldn't care if my daughter were really a lesbian, so her pretending to be one for a play would definitely not be an issue. There are plenty of professional actors who are heterosexual playing homosexual characters or vice versa.

I think the only thing that I would be concerned about is how students outside of the theatre group might react to it. Some teens, and even adults, will take any excuse to put others down, so the concern for me would be if others started teasing or bullying her based on a part in a play. I remember when I was in school we wanted to do a play that was going to have kind of a gothic theme, and there was one girl who absolutely refused to do it because she didn't want her friends to see her dressed like that even if it was just for a play. 

pampire
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I'd be OK with it.  I think he'd be a good actor actually.  he has a very Cillian Murphy vibe to him.

lilangilyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Sounds great to me.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Quoting aneela:

just wanted to say love the avatar....

Love yours too

angevil53
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM
As long as there's no real gays around. Bc that's how you catch it you know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

There is a very large population of openly gay students at her school.  For the most part no one really cares.  there was an incident during one of the performances of Camelot.  During one of the scenes the actor was doing, an audience member (teen) yelled out Faggot.   The actor handled it like a pro and acted like he did not hear it.  Altho back stage he was clearly upset.   but  after the show some of the teachers got together to try and prevent issues like that from happening in the future.  Well the students got together as well and the entire theatre dept showed up outside the principals office demanding something be done. They had with them a petition that was signed by  just over 2,000 students which is half the school population.

Quoting CarolinaGirl88:

Wow, that's some really heavy material for a school play. I would have loved to do something like that when I was in high school, regardless of the part. As for if my daughter were playing a gay teen I don't think I'd personally have a problem with it. I wouldn't care if my daughter were really a lesbian, so her pretending to be one for a play would definitely not be an issue. There are plenty of professional actors who are heterosexual playing homosexual characters or vice versa.

I think the only thing that I would be concerned about is how students outside of the theatre group might react to it. Some teens, and even adults, will take any excuse to put others down, so the concern for me would be if others started teasing or bullying her based on a part in a play. I remember when I was in school we wanted to do a play that was going to have kind of a gothic theme, and there was one girl who absolutely refused to do it because she didn't want her friends to see her dressed like that even if it was just for a play. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

i've been a huge Who fan since i was a little girl :)

I found Merlin last year and was hooked...so sad it's now ended with series 5.

Quoting Msgme:

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Quoting aneela:

i've been a huge Who fan since i was a little girl :)

I found Merlin last year and was hooked...so sad it's now ended with series 5.

Quoting Msgme:

i love the Doctor  altho i only discovred him with doctor #9.  I do remember my  mother  watching the show when i was a kid tho.   I'm still not over how they ended Merlin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)