Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your kid playing a gay person???

Posted by   + Show Post

How would you feel if your child was playing a lesbian in a school play?  My dd is playing the part of a gay teen in a school production. the play was written and directed by another student.  The play is about a girl that is coming out to her mother who is very homophobic.  The mother is also a very strict catholic and that's how she raised her children. However the main character is not only coming out about being gay but also telling her mother that she's an atheist.  The play also has a Priest who is obviously gay but dealing with his demons and projecting his issues onto the main character.. My dd is playing the girlfriend of the  main character.  I have not seen the play yet  I will be going to Saturdays show but I've watched my dd rehearse at home and I've read the script.  which i think its a great show even tho i was a bit surprised they not only allowed such material but that it was chosen by the teaching staff that wrote it.   The shows first performance was last night and its getting great reviews for the most part. One student even messaged the playwright and told her it made her mother re think her issues and she thanked her.  Its gotten a few parents upset.

i just saw the costume my dd had to wear for the show.  The character is suppose to love rainbows . Really not sure dh is going to love this costume. 

thought I would share

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Replies (71-73):
mstricey
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Wouldn't bother me. I would be proud of my daughter for agreeing to play a controversial part.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Many schools with a strong theater department have started to do more student plays, as they help the students bulk up their college entrance resumes.  The colleges that are the most competitive theater programs won't even consider kids that have not had experience with directing, writing, etc.   My cousin is a freshman at a school like this, and she has already helped write and direct two one acts for UIL. Her older brother, who is a Theater major, was offered four full rides to different schools, and he credits his high school theater teachers for that, as they make sure every kid that has the talent and passion for theater, is fully prepared to be a great adition to any college fine arts department.

Some of the student plays are wonderful, but they still get to do the established plays. Last year they did Fiddler on the Roof and Streetcar Named desire, among others.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

We had known plays on my hs not something written by a student.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

What makes a play a "real play"

Quoting mommyof11050307:

I wouldn't care. I'm surprise the schools allowing this type of play. Ours were actually after real plays when I was in hs.

motamaid
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Would be proud of her and the drama dept.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)