Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone have any thoughts on what this is? Pic included and PIOG

My 5 year old left school with this today. His dad didnt notice until they got to hs Krav Maga class and had to change him out of his uniform and into his workout gear.

I gave him his bath last night and didn't notice anything and I also helped him get dressed this morning and he didnt complain about any uncomfortablness, itching or anything else. 

He is on his way home from class and his dad and i wil decide on whether we will take him to the ER or wait until the morning to see his ped doctor.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

That was my thought too, they look like ant bites! Where do you guys live?

Quoting redneckmama2:

being as it is centralized to his lower back area I would think he might have gotten bit a few times by ants or something. But I am not sure and since I cant really look closer and in person I am going to definitely suggest at least benedryl. 

I.heart.my.kids
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

we are in NYC 

Quoting bethgoedeken:

Quoting redneckmama2:

being as it is centralized to his lower back area I would think he might have gotten bit a few times by ants or something. But I am not sure and since I cant really look closer and in person I am going to definitely suggest at least benedryl. 

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
That does not look like hives.. At all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicematters
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I occasionally get hives from allergies and they do not look like this. If he were my child I would take him to the ER because one, it looks like welts, and two, even if it is hives that is a severe case for a five year old.

vetNmommy
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Bump

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Hives. Will probably go away and you will never know what caused it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof3grls4517
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My youngest breaks out in hives like those periodically. good luck.

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

San antonio, tx but all along the southern states are south american fire ants that are mean. They have been known to attack in the thousands and if they do they can kill a grown man. Their hills look like excavated soil that piles up and have been compared to termite mounds. They are scary little shits. 

Quoting bethgoedeken:

Quoting redneckmama2:

ToniTennille
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Have you tried cold water on it and given him benadryl? I used to get something similar, an allergy.

2cadifference
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:42 AM

I also meant to tell you to talk to his doctor about it...I didn't just mean to sound like it is nothing and to just take the meds. But I know what it is like to have them and freak out about what to do. I have learned more about hives than I ever wanted to know. It seems it is a big thing with kids lately. Some kids are reacting to chemicals in water and pesticides used on food. And in some cases people just get them from stress and unknown reasons. But I have learned that Zyrtec is for hives. My son started last year with allergies in the Spring and I suupose this is just something he has grown into also. But we now have a med plan set up and things have calmed down. So I would say if he gets them a couple more times you should def talk to his doctor about allergy testing and keep a journal of the things and times that surround the break outs. =)

Quoting I.heart.my.kids:

oh man... id go crazy without an definitive answer! hope your son can grow out of it, it sounds so scary especially if his eye swelled up

Quoting 2cadifference:

My son just this year started getting them....no reason. We went through allergy testing and all that only to find out there is no reason for hives most of the time. He gets them in water, he gets them eating, he gets them not eating, he gets them sleeping, he gets them at school, in the car, in the pool, on the soccer field...Nothing adds up...So he takes Zyrtec for them and they have let up...We even had to go to the ER once because his eyes swelled up with hives. I mean seriously!!!! Only to go through everything and find out some people get hives! Give him some Zyrtec, my son takes it daily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN