Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Granny On Board!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, I am a granny to 3 wonderful boys (6, twins 5), they are special needs with duchene's MD and one twin also has spectrum disorder/autism, non-verbal, which hasn't been completely diagnosed yet.

All the boys are in school and doing well. They and their mom live with us so we can help her with the daily needs of the boys and to give her encouragement and support. I hope to find encouragement and information for myself to help keep this little family uplifted.

I am glad to be here and can't wait to hear back from you. Are there any other granny's in the group?

Best regards,

Granny2texans

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Welcome! I had never heard of that form of MD before had to look it up! That must be hard with all 3 of them with it. You sound like a good mom and grandma helping your daughter out like that! I am sure you will find lots of support and info from here. There is a special needs group and autism groups that will probably help you find parents and grands with similar experiances.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
granny2texans
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Thank you babyspots17 for the warm welcome.  Thank you for the nod to the special needs group too.  So much of our time is devoted to their DMD and the autism that I haven't been able to find a good group site.  Searching the web for information is one thing, but it's so much more meaningful and personal to have a group setting.

Very best regards,

Granny

bow down

Quoting babyspots17:

Welcome! I had never heard of that form of MD before had to look it up! That must be hard with all 3 of them with it. You sound like a good mom and grandma helping your daughter out like that! I am sure you will find lots of support and info from here. There is a special needs group and autism groups that will probably help you find parents and grands with similar experiances.

funhappymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Hi-welcome. You sound like a great granny.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

welcome to cafemomHello and Welcome!

Please make yourself at home here!:)

Here are some links to some other CafeMom groups that you may also enjoy - click on the pictures below...

Reina13
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hi!!! Welcome.

I have a special needs son who is in school full time as well.

Oh are you in Texas? I was just looking at  your screen name. I live in DFW.

WebCat
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Hello and welcome. I'm a granny too. I don't have any special needs grandkids. My daughter lives in another city but not too far away. You'll enjoy cafemom and meet a lot of nice people here. 

If you can't find a support group in your area why not start one? It's pretty easy to do and would be a lot of fun. To get people together write a letter to the editor of your news paper. Get your local T.V. to announce meetings in their 'what's happening' section. Churches or hospitals might give you a room to meet in. Or even the local community center. There's so much you can do with a support group including social gatherings. Contact a local social worker. She/he might also have some resources that would help you with a group. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)