Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh the longer the year goes on the more I think this poor boy in my class has crappy parents. Its really eating at me and its become an internal obsession.  I cant seem to let it go.  The boy is in 1st grade.  He is also in before and after school care.  He is in the school building from 6am to 6pm 5 days a week and has a nanny all day on saturday.  Yes he is clean, wears nice clothes, is dropped of in a 2013 mercedes....

I still think he is being neglected.  I know its not a crime, but it should be.  

Update-  I talked to the school social worker last week.  The final straw for me was the boys sister was home sick so mom took 2 days off.  Still left the boy in after school care from 6:30 am till 6pm and mom was not sick.  I told her (the social worker) some of my concerns, that he cries easily (if I tell him to pick up the crayons he just dropped he will start sobbing), that he has poor manual dexterity and he is behind in language.  

She said it isnt neglect of course, and I knew that.  She did say we can find him a mentor so that some of his after school time can be spent one on one with a "foster grandparent" from the senior center next door.  They are also going to check to see if he needs speech or occupational therapy.  

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bax
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

What if he was dropped off in a 1993 mini van, wore hand-me-downs, and spent Sat with a babysitter while mom worked as a waitress? Would you think he was neglected or would you say "His Mom works sooo hard to provide for this child"? 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

how is he being neglected

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Schauseil:

um, no. You have no idea what his parents or parent is doing to provide for him. While most ppl would love to give their children more attention, job restrictions don't always allow that.

Then perhaps a better solution would be to put off having children.

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Well, if you feel that he is being neglected - as a MANDATED REPORTER, you have to report it...

It be really shitty if you were wrong, and simply making judgments where there needs none to be.

StoneColdKiller
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
That's sad. There are kids like that in my sons teachers class. It breaks her heart.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I find that really sad. I could never do that to my kids. =(

kcmomama
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Very sad.  I am sure he would gladly give up those fancy clothes and nice ride for some time with his parents.  I am sure they are not bad people but one day they may find themselves regreting not being there to see him grow up.  Money can't buy a happy childhood. 

TheMrs407
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It's awfully sad. I work in a school with quite a few kids who have rough lives. It's so normal to them they don't even know they have rough lives (around drugs, parents in jail, parents struggling financially, domestic violence, restraining orders, and sometimes child abuse). These are the kids many think of when we think of "crappy parents", but as you mention crappy parents come from all walks of life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TatorsMommy2205
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I personally pride myself in being able to spend as much time as pssble with my child, but I do know parents who have children with similar situation. I would have to say that one couple that I specifically thinking of are great parents! They mother is working and in nursing school and the father works several hours a day to provide for their children. They both drive very ice expensive cars, but their chidlren are cared for, respectful children. Some people just have different values, and as long as the child is cared for I wouldn't say they are neglected.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting Bax:

What if he was dropped off in a 1993 mini van, wore hand-me-downs, and spent Sat with a babysitter while mom worked as a waitress? Would you think he was neglected or would you say "His Mom works sooo hard to provide for this child"? 

I would say it's not the same at all. she would be working to pay for their basic needs like a roof over thei heads and food in their stomachs... working 80 hours a week for that is different than working 80 hours a week to maintian an expensive lifestyle. It doesn't necessarily mean they are terrible people but it is different. and if they are decent people I think the day will come when they will regret that they missed so much of his childhood for that purpase

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)