Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh the longer the year goes on the more I think this poor boy in my class has crappy parents. Its really eating at me and its become an internal obsession.  I cant seem to let it go.  The boy is in 1st grade.  He is also in before and after school care.  He is in the school building from 6am to 6pm 5 days a week and has a nanny all day on saturday.  Yes he is clean, wears nice clothes, is dropped of in a 2013 mercedes....

I still think he is being neglected.  I know its not a crime, but it should be.  

Update-  I talked to the school social worker last week.  The final straw for me was the boys sister was home sick so mom took 2 days off.  Still left the boy in after school care from 6:30 am till 6pm and mom was not sick.  I told her (the social worker) some of my concerns, that he cries easily (if I tell him to pick up the crayons he just dropped he will start sobbing), that he has poor manual dexterity and he is behind in language.  

She said it isnt neglect of course, and I knew that.  She did say we can find him a mentor so that some of his after school time can be spent one on one with a "foster grandparent" from the senior center next door.  They are also going to check to see if he needs speech or occupational therapy.  

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
kjfamily
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I know what you mean . I volunteered at school for years. Us helpers and teachers can always tell who the good parents are and young kids talk a lot , some parents would die if they knew what their kids blabbed about. I could always tell if the child's folder was stil full, the parent didn't even look through it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thank goodness his parents at least take care of his physical needs. It may be unusual to you but there are plenty of kids on the other end of the line that are not taken care of at all. Their parents are home and ignore them, don't care for them. Don't have set schedules or decent clothes or home for them.Those are the ones to feel sorry for. This little guy isn't getting the closeness and love you would like him to have, but actually he will survive better than the opposite families. Its fortunate that you do care about him. Shows that you are a good teacher and parent if you have children. Hope more chidren have teachers like you.

Elyce225
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM
So sad. I don't understand why people have children if they only see the 1 hour a day.

And you're back, where'd ya go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectAccident
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

... Rude.

Quoting Schauseil:

um, no. You have no idea what his parents or parent is doing to provide for him. While most ppl would love to give their children more attention, job restrictions don't always allow that.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Quoting Elyce225:

So sad. I don't understand why people have children if they only see the 1 hour a day.

And you're back, where'd ya go?

my part time teaching job has turned into full time because of the flu bug.  We are all pitching in to keep it going! 

ILoveMyKids84_
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM

How is he being neglected ?

ILoveMyKids84_ Formerly _WC_Mama

RLT2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Well it sounds a little sad, but I'd need more info.

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
you are assuming they pick their own work hours. Would you have them quit their job because they work on saturday?

Quoting ditsyjo:

may I point out with out coming over as rude that if they can afford to hire a nanny they are doing more than is " necessary" to provide for their family. they are maintaining a life style with may be important to some people but it is not necessary

Quoting Schauseil:

um, no. You have no idea what his parents or parent is doing to provide for him. While most ppl would love to give their children more attention, job restrictions don't always allow that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM

anything more than40 hours  a week is overtime and can not be forced. It can be strongly recommended as in you will not make a promotion if you don't show the commit ment... but it can not be forced legally... there fore both parents working 6 days a week = a choice. and it is their choice to make but...

Quoting Schauseil:

you are assuming they pick their own work hours. Would you have them quit their job because they work on saturday?

Quoting ditsyjo:

may I point out with out coming over as rude that if they can afford to hire a nanny they are doing more than is " necessary" to provide for their family. they are maintaining a life style with may be important to some people but it is not necessary

Quoting Schauseil:

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM
That's sad. And I agree, it is neglect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)