Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh the longer the year goes on the more I think this poor boy in my class has crappy parents. Its really eating at me and its become an internal obsession.  I cant seem to let it go.  The boy is in 1st grade.  He is also in before and after school care.  He is in the school building from 6am to 6pm 5 days a week and has a nanny all day on saturday.  Yes he is clean, wears nice clothes, is dropped of in a 2013 mercedes....

I still think he is being neglected.  I know its not a crime, but it should be.  

Update-  I talked to the school social worker last week.  The final straw for me was the boys sister was home sick so mom took 2 days off.  Still left the boy in after school care from 6:30 am till 6pm and mom was not sick.  I told her (the social worker) some of my concerns, that he cries easily (if I tell him to pick up the crayons he just dropped he will start sobbing), that he has poor manual dexterity and he is behind in language.  

She said it isnt neglect of course, and I knew that.  She did say we can find him a mentor so that some of his after school time can be spent one on one with a "foster grandparent" from the senior center next door.  They are also going to check to see if he needs speech or occupational therapy.  

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (91-96):
ladymadrox
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Well, unfortunatelynot spending time with your kids is not a crime. But, truthfully that may not be the case here. The parents might work long hours during the week and possibly on Saturdays as well. If he's not showing any signs that this bothers him then I really wouldn't put to much worry on it, he might not even see the diffrence it could have always been like this for him, not saying that if they really just don't care and purposely do this than it's okay, but he may not even know any better. So I say just keep an eye on the little fella. 

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

BUMP!

krise
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I like the update in this but I hope the parents know what you have in store for him.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

2 things will happen, they either wont care or they will realize they shouldnt have kids in school over 11 hours a day and make other arrangements.  They do not know the plan as of yet.  

Quoting krise:

I like the update in this but I hope the parents know what you have in store for him.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That's really sad, OP.  And I hate that so many responses on here are so casual and "mind your own business, he's being supervised."  I hate that almost never being with one's own small children is now normalized.  Shameful.

star33
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

i can understand how you feel OP.i would feel the same.Different people have different priorities.it IS quality ,not the quantity of time,but sounds like in this situation there is NO quality time.when my mom died,we had to go to daycare til 11pm(yes,there was daycare that late back in the day!!),but that was the shift my dad worked.i never thought he cared less.

i'm a single mom now of 2 kids,i WISH i had a nanny on the wkends,but i would be working alongside her to try to get the housework done & be with the kids.

i hope the poor kid will get what he needs emotionally soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)