Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What are the best & worst places to live for people with autism

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM
  • 18 Replies

What are the best & worst places to live for people with autism

Ryan Jaslow

For children and adults with autism, where is the best place to live?

For many Americans with a family member on the autism spectrum, the best place to live is where they can access different educational, medical and recreational resources without having to drive to another city or state.

In 2011, nonprofit advocacy group Autism Speaks conducted a social media survey of 848 members of the autism community from 48 states and Washington D.C., about the quality and accessibility - among other factors - of supports and services where they lived.

The answer for most? Treatment options and support resources, including education and respite care, are hard to come by. Seventy-four percent were unhappy with the autism services in their area, while only 26 percent said they were generally happy.

"These survey results confirm what we hear every day from families - that they are struggling to get their children services that are essential to their development and well-being," Bob Wright, co-founder of Autism Speaks, said at the time.

Those who were unhappy reported "by very large margins" they had to travel considerable distances - more than an hour - for treatments and services, said medical services were difficult to come by, and noted that few, if any, recreational services were available locally.

Across the board, respite services were lacking in all areas. Respite care is temporary "relief" for primary caregivers, in which trained professionals can step in, allowing parents to increase their social and emotional well-being. According to Autism Speaks, parents often sacrifice their own health to meet the care-giving needs of their children - which are plenty when it comes to doctor's appointments, school issues, and legal battles, among other factors.

The majority of respondents said educational services were available in their community, but there was an inconsistency in quality for some areas. Among people who responded positively when asked of local educational services, less than a quarter those services were hard to obtain. For families generally unhappy with their local autism resources, an "incredible" 83 percent described difficulties, such as they couldn't find specialized experts to best place their child, needed to change schools or districts, or had to resort to expensive legal action.

Which places fared worst?

Texas, Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Florida, Michigan and California had the most negative responders.

The top 10 metropolitan areas according to members of the community were: The greater New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Boston, Northern New Jersey, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle and Milwaukee

This year's survey is not due out until the fall, but Peter Bell, executive vice president of programs and services at Autism Speaks, told CBS News he doesn't anticipate big changes for 2012's survey.

Read more: http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/news/what-are-best-worst-places-live-people-autism-4375893#ixzz2IIUuRmiF
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmommy430
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Maybe i should move the 2.5 hrs to the twin cities.. Services here arent that great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maciymommieof3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Take it for what its worth... I live in St. Louis and feel that I have been very fortunate with the services I have recieved for my kids.... Can't complain....  OH..and trust me...I can COMPLAIN...LOL

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Maybe i should move the 2.5 hrs to the twin cities.. Services here arent that great.

ZakkarysMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM
lol

Quoting maciymommieof3:

Take it for what its worth... I live in St. Louis and feel that I have been very fortunate with the services I have recieved for my kids.... Can't complain....  OH..and trust me...I can COMPLAIN...LOL

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SupermarketMama
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I'm in nyc...services are good. North Jersey ain't shit. Atleast in my city the services and the schools in general are piss poor. This is why I refuse to move back to nj. Maybe it depends on the city you're in... if you're in a rich affluent county. I know the inner city north jersey autism services are slim to none.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimber2465
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM
hmm i have lived in texas. i didn't have problems finding help. i have had problems find help when we had live rural places!!!
lmjess
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on what services you want or need. I live in rural Illinois. My sons both get OT and speech. We do not have access to ABA. And, I can't find respite. But, we do have social skills, special needs play groups, and if needed, special classrooms for severe autism.

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Services in KC are awesome! As are the ones in Des Moines

dobrd
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

maciymommieof3, In my opinion the best place would be in Rochester, NY.. This city has it all, especially where kids are concerned.. I live about an hour from there. My DH was born/raised there.. This city is/always has been big as for children.. My grandson Jackson is Autistic.. You name it, they have have it for any situation.. Praters you find where you need to be.. Take Care, Donna....

littleleesmom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I live in Texas and my over all since moving here is not great I lived in Tacoma for 3 years and hated the area but the services are great there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN