Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bully

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM
  • 6 Replies
How did u handle your child being bullied.my child didn't want to tell me at first that he was being bulled at school because he didn't want me to go to the school to report it.He said it would make it worse on him. He is so upset that a want to go to the school and report it. I feel I have to. He said he can deal with it him self. What would I do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Aichia
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM
If it's past the reasonable point of letting them handle it then I step in.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:08 AM

How old is the child?  Have you asked how he is going to handle it?  I always remind my daughter to tell an adult that is around if there is trouble.

mommyof310
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM
He is ten. He said he will just deal with it. But at first I new something was wrong because he didn't want to go to school.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I wonder if there is a way to anonymously report the child as a bully without singling out your child as a victim.  I know for our district there is a big initiative to stop all bullying and there is a hotline to report it.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I talked to the teacher to find out if my child was doing anything to make herself a target.  In my daughters case she wouldnt keep her hands to herself and the kids got sick of it.  I had to teach my daughter to give respect in order to get respect.  She is doing much better this year. 

Bax
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:09 AM

I say report it and here's why.

Last year my friends daughter (Katie, age 11) was being bullied, her mom knew something was wrong but the child also wouldn't tell because she was afraid of making it worse.  My friend agreed to let Katie handle it with the understanding that if she needed her to, mom would report it.  Well, one day after the bully was particularly merciless, Katie ran home yelling to the bully, that's it I am telling my mom. 

Well, the kid may have been a bully but he was no dummy.  Knowing his parents were the "my kid can do no wrong" kind of parents. He told his parents that Katie was bullying him.  He turned every "bullying incident" that he did around to say Katie did it.  They immediately ran to the school and Katie was in trouble. It wasn't until they called other students in that the truth came out but it took a while and Katie was suspended during that time.  It was a mess. 

So my advice, get it on the record.  Report each and every incident. And tell your son why you are doing it, don't hide it from him otherwise he will never trust you.  I'd tell him this story and say "do you think "your bully" is like that?  Will turn it around and blame you?"  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)