Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Every time my dog goes in to get groomed, he comes back looking nice, but he does something weird. He runs from one place to the next, and sits down really quickly. Then a little bit later, he runs to the next place across the room, and sits down quickly. I have heard that they get their anal glands emptied when they get groomed. Do you think that is why he is doing the sitting like he is? He also rubs his but on the floor a little when he sits. He is a Shih tzu and will be 5 years old next month.
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-12):
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Quoting tambrathegreat:

I am a groomer and I can almost guarantee that it's because of the hygenic clip he's getting. 

As for his anus getting nicked, sometimes it does happen when a dog is fighting and won't let the groomer get the clippers situated correctly for the cut.  If it continues to be a problem, ask about it.  There might be things you can do to train him not to wiggle.  If it's razor burn, then get some mild lotion or neosporin and put it on the affected area, that should help clear up the irritation.

This only happens when he gets groomed and lasts a couple of days. He usually isn't a fighter, and I know he isn't nicked when he comes back since he is very white and there isn't any marks on him. The people that do him are the same ones that have been doing him for years so we like them. I think it's probably because he is itchy from getting it cleaned out and from shaving.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Quoting ninipanini:

i don't know much about small dogs and their anal glands, but he sounds anxious

maybe it just takes him awhile to calm himself down from the excitement

He does seem a bit anxious when he comes back. My dh used to think that they gave him some wacky weed or something when he was there because he ran around constantly and then he acted like a zombie. They weren't, but he is just never around other dogs and the stress of the other dogs barking AND getting trimmed made him a basket case for a couple of days.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)