Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

waiting on pierceings...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
To all moms who feel waiting til daughters r older & want to gt earrings----
How many of u, DO NOt have ur ears pierced?
Or
Ur daughter has come of age & has declined gttn earrings?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I have had mine pierced 3 times. All 3 times one got infected and closed up on me.  Earrings are not a must for anyone to have.  How would you feel if at a later date your child decides she does not want to have her ears pierced when you pierce them as a baby?

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I have 2 holes in one ear, 3 in the other, my tongue pierced, I have in the past also had my nose and navel pierced (4 tattoos as well). I let my daughter decide, it's her body. She is 6 now and has had her ears pierced since the beginning of last Summer, after finally begging for them.

AMR320
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Mine are pierced but I have not worn earings in over 9 years and before that I only wore them occasionally since age 11. I am waiting until my daughters are old enough to make the decision and understand it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bax
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I have pierced ears (3 sets in each ear.  I got 1 set when I was 12, the 2nd set at age 30 and 3rd set at age 40) 

My daughter had 3 sets but no longer can wear any earings.  Her original set, the earing got caught on something and ripped straight through the lobe (she needed 2 stitches) but it never healed correctly and any earing in that hole sort of flops over. 

The 2nd and 3rd sets closed up.  We found that she has a severe allergy to nickel (a metal in many, many earrings, even in minute amounts), which caused an alergic reaction, which caused her to scratch the ears lobes open, which caused a severe infection, causing the dr to ban earrings for 6 months, causing the holes to close.  Luckily she was 12, the infection was bad, had she been an infant, I can't imagine how sick she would have been had she been an infant.

squeakers2
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I have 5 on one ear and 4 on the other. I've had a total of 13 piercings all together. My others are/were tongue, labret, and 2 piercings in my navel. 3 out of 9 of my ear piercings were done by a professional piercer and the other 6 were done with piercing guns before I did my own research (I was 3 weeks old when my parents had my ears pierced, and 12 when I got my last piercing with a piercing gun. All my other piercings were done with a hollow needle by a professional piercer, not some teeny bopper who sat through a 1 hour video on how to pierce ears. Last piercing was done when I was 17). My ear lobes are gauged to a 6 and all my other piercings are at a 14. Standard earring studs are about a 22 gauge and are easily ripped out bc they are such a small gauge. After doing research on piercing guns (which I posted some on your post in the Oct DD group), I swore I would never let another piercing gun near my ears or near my children.

We decided to wait bc we wanted our daughter's ears done by a professional piercer. Hollow needles are better for piercing and the rings used allow for proper healing space, drainage and natural movement. We also wanted her to learn responsablity by taking care of them. She is 3 and just recently asked for earrings, but hasn't done so consistantly. When she does, we will work on finding a piercer and having them done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I'm waiting until my daughter asks for earrings, which is what my mom did for me.  I have 3 sets of earrings, plus one in the upper ear.  My oldest is 3, so it hasn't come up yet.  I was 4 when I got my first set.

WDWEditor
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I wasn't allowed to get mine pierced until I graduated from 8th grade. Then it was my call. I was the first person in my family to get mine pierced. Within two years my older sister and my mother (who was initially against it) had theirs done. I am against piercing baby's ears or young children, but that's for me and my family, I realize it is a cultural thing for some people and a life style choice for others. One of my daughters has several piercings in her ears, the other got her ears pierced and they closed up on her d/t her not following the directions they gave her. Both were about the same age I was when I got mine pierced, although the extra holes my oldest has she got later.

Sweets32285
by ♥Jen on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I have 10 holes on my ears.  I only wear 4, they are all cartilage.  I had my ears pierced at 4.  I hardly wear earrings in them.  My daughter had hers done at 4.  She will be 7 next month and loves her earrings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)