Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Laundry detergent...poison control...HELP. *UPDATE*

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

I just had the follow up call with poison control. They said since he hasn't thrown up in a few hours (especially after eating and drinking) and has been able to keep things down without a problem, he's in the clear. Thanks for all your help ladies!

My son bit through one of the laundry detergent packs and got about 1/3 of the liquid in his mouth (he didn't eat the packet itself). He vomitted a MASSIVE amount within 5 minutes, then seemed fine. I bathed him and gave him some water, and as soon as he took the bottle, he started gagging and threw up like...saliva. I called poison control (the nurse line at his ped was closed) and she said his throat is most likely irritated and to watch him for the next two hours and if he can't keep liquids down or is still vomitting after 2 hours, take him to the ER. She also said to watch for respiratory symptoms like a cough because they worry about them getting vomit in their lungs. 

A few minutes ago he started with the throwing up saliva again (which she said would probably happen again)...and he keeps coughing. But he had a little bit of a cough before all this happened...and I know when I get sick, it always makes me cough a lot. 

He's acting perfectly fine otherwise. He's up playing...he's not lethargic, etc. I would just take him to the ER, but I worry about doing that because the children's ER here is so small and I'd be worried about him picking up the flu with as bad as it's been going around. 

Has anyone else had this happen?!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't had it happen but I would take him in anyway. I would rather he have the flu!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Maybe call the ER and get their opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CCKline3
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Oh, I should also add that ALL of the detergent came up when he threw up the first time.

Sun_Shine_990
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM
wow. Yeah i haven't had anything like that happen either but if it were me I'd take him anyway regardless of the flu... Good luck though...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CCKline3
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Our local ER won't give advice over the phone =(

ILoveMyKids84_
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I haven't had that happen but IMO I would take Him in

ILoveMyKids84_ Formerly _WC_Mama

Bax
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I would take him. Believe it or not, ingesting laundry soap is nothing to fool around.  Can cause swelling of the esophogeal membrane causing fluid in the lungs or breathing problems. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My daughter got into the detergent at my moms. I got texted as she called poison control. It was a few hours of throwing up and diarrhea but that is it. It just runs through the system. I was so happy it was detergent and not bleach. Bleach is the bad one. 

CCKline3
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Right before I made this post, I gave him a little snack, and started giving him some water. He's kept it down so far, which is better than he was doing...and he's even a little perkier now. I guess I'll wait out the rest of the 2 hours that the poison control lady told me to monitor him and go from there (she's scheduled to call back and check on him).

EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM
if you think it all came up the first time he threw up then he should be OK...just treat it like a sore throat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN