Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HI~

My question is, how can you explain to a 6 years old DD how it's wrong to sleep over at a guy friend house?  

She asked if she could have a sleepover and i told her it not going to happen and it wrong for to have sleepover with a guy. I just don't see it is appropriate.  We have morals and standards. This guy is not related to her at any way.  He is just a good friend from Kindergarten.  

I think it cute that she want to do the sleepover but at the same time not appropriate.

UPDATE:  I'm not bashing anyone at all I'm just asking if it is 'normal' to have co-ed sleepover.  I know nothing would happen, it just I never had co-ed sleepover or anyone sleepover at my house.  I was told when I was growing up, if you can't sleep over at a guy house when you're 17 you're sure not sleeping over at a guy house at 7.  I only asked because it's a different century now, and i was wondering if it very common and whatnot.  There's is no thought of something sexual going to happen at all. It more of if she thinks it okay now would it be okay later in high school.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
Casperstalks
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

No help from me, either. I've been best friends with my first male friend since we were babies, and he's always slept over at my parent's house. I've never slept at his house, but that's because we both had older brothers, and my mom was way protective. *Not that Chris would've done anything, just precaution* Plus my mom was a SAHM, and Alex's wasn't.

The only thing we happened to do, is I accidently poked him in the eye one time and he still has a scar.. /:

inspain
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

It's a kindergartner, not a "guy".  You're talking about a little boy as if he's some dude from down the block.  

And I love the "We have morals and standards." statement.  A bit high and mighty, don't ya think?  

They're little kids.  No one's having sex in the tree-house.  My DD is ten and she and her BFF, 9, and a boy, had a sleep over last week.  They played video games until 1 am and were up at 6:30, making breakfast (a.k.a. destroying my kitchen).  They've been friends for five years.  They're just friends.  

I guess we're amoral low-lifes, but everyone had fun and there was nothing inappropriate going on.  

You don't want to allow it, then don't.  But I wonder if the real purpose of the post was just to tell other moms that they're doing it wrong...

"If there is a God, why did he make me an Atheist?" - Ricky Gervais
creneep83
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I'm not applying to the mothers that allow their kids have co-ed sleepover.  If it was a group of girls and boys, I have no problem at all... It has nothing to do with sex....AGAIN... Nothing wrong to have morals and standards. they are not in Kindergarten, they are in first grade. She been friends with this guy for two years.  They have gotten together after school and played but never further than that.  I never had co-ed sleepover so that why I came on here to ask. nothing personal not attacking anyone here... have you seen me attacking anyone here? No.  I just want people opinion that it.

Quoting inspain:

It's a kindergartner, not a "guy".  You're talking about a little boy as if he's some dude from down the block.   

And I love the "We have morals and standards." statement.  A bit high and mighty, don't ya think?  

They're little kids.  No one's having sex in the tree-house.  My DD is ten and she and her BFF, 9, and a boy, had a sleep over last week.  They played video games until 1 am and were up at 6:30, making breakfast (a.k.a. destroying my kitchen).  They've been friends for five years.  They're just friends.  

I guess we're amoral low-lifes, but everyone had fun and there was nothing inappropriate going on.  

You don't want to allow it, then don't.  But I wonder if the real purpose of the post was just to tell other moms that they're doing it wrong...

creneep83
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

BUMP!

AlohaTink
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM
This. I had tons of sleepovers with my best friend who was a guy when I was in 4-6th grade. I'm perfectly.....well I'm not a sex fiend.

Quoting SuperPickle:

No help here, I had a great guy friend when I was in 2nd-5th grade and we often had sleepovers.....shame on my parents I guess, but I turned out just fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
morals huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
"they are not in kindergarten, they are in first grade"

uh...that's only a year difference, lol.

Quoting creneep83:

I'm not applying to the mothers that allow their kids have co-ed sleepover.  If it was a group of girls and boys, I have no problem at all... It has nothing to do with sex....AGAIN... Nothing wrong to have morals and standards. they are not in Kindergarten, they are in first grade. She been friends with this guy for two years.  They have gotten together after school and played but never further than that.  I never had co-ed sleepover so that why I came on here to ask. nothing personal not attacking anyone here... have you seen me attacking anyone here? No.  I just want people opinion that it.

Quoting inspain:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
what exactly is morally wrong with two six year olds having a sleepover? how is that beneath your standards?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Age 6 is fine imo. My sitter has a 6 yo DD and she is always having sleepovers with her best friend- BOY.

SweetPea2004
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I had sleepovers with this one boy till middle school when he moved to New Zeland. He's gay and a makeup artist but my Mom I think knew back then lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)