Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HI~

My question is, how can you explain to a 6 years old DD how it's wrong to sleep over at a guy friend house?  

She asked if she could have a sleepover and i told her it not going to happen and it wrong for to have sleepover with a guy. I just don't see it is appropriate.  We have morals and standards. This guy is not related to her at any way.  He is just a good friend from Kindergarten.  

I think it cute that she want to do the sleepover but at the same time not appropriate.

UPDATE:  I'm not bashing anyone at all I'm just asking if it is 'normal' to have co-ed sleepover.  I know nothing would happen, it just I never had co-ed sleepover or anyone sleepover at my house.  I was told when I was growing up, if you can't sleep over at a guy house when you're 17 you're sure not sleeping over at a guy house at 7.  I only asked because it's a different century now, and i was wondering if it very common and whatnot.  There's is no thought of something sexual going to happen at all. It more of if she thinks it okay now would it be okay later in high school.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (31-36):
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I had sleep overs with guy friends even when I was 17.  My best guy friend was gay.  We didnt know that at the time but maybe our parents did.  They didnt seem to have an issue, they would not have let me have my boyfriend over though. 

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM

We don't allow coed sleepovers outside of family. I just don't think it's appropriate. We just tell our kids that boys and girls don't have sleepovers together, just like we have different bathrooms for boys and girls at school and different changing rooms for boys and girls in gym class, boys and girls don't sleep over with each other until they are grown ups and married.

IndianaWynette
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Their is nothing wrong with co-ed sleep overs as long as you specify no funny buisness. my dd is 16 as has good friend guy and he stays and bf don't care cause they stay in living room with us and come bedtime he sleeps in her room and she sleeps in our room. Their is no way of leaving our room without dh knowing, he sleeps like a feather.

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM
He's not a "guy", he's a kid. It's your house your rules. My girls hated boys at that age, didn't even want to play with them so I was never put in that situation. My DDs first sleepover was when she was 9 and she will turn 11 in May.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vevespears
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I dont care which century!!! THATS A NO GO!!! good for you not letting her. explain her? shes only 6, CAUSE I SAID SO, nothing else, or maybe you can say something like "does mommy has sleepover at friends house?" no! Maybe refer to other choices, something like "what about if you get few friends from day care, school, whatever (girls) to have sleepover and have like a princess party?" Maybe

LoveOfSign
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM

.. I'm sorry I had to laugh. My mom didn't have morals/standards i guess.. She let my best friend(a boy-6 is not a man it's a boy to us) stay over almost every weekend. I was at his house or he was at mine. We even shared a bed.. and nothing ever happened. When I was 15 my mom let my boyfriend spend the night, the door stayed open, he slept on the floor and I slept on the bed. At 17 she let my boyfriend(broke up with the last) stay the night every other weekend as he lived 2 hrs away near my dads place(I'm now married to him). And again, nothing happened as we weren't given the chance even if we wanted to.

I guess to each their own if you're not okay and you're worried about it just tell her no, you don't have to explain every decision you make to your 6 yr old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)